Thank you! Yes, I'm already using the -c 'source xxx; command' approach with Bash/fish, and you are right, it should work with Zsh too of course. Nonetheless, the problem of starting Zsh with an activated virtual environment remains. I suppose the next question is if the maintainers would consider adding this feature to Zsh to support use cases like these, just as Bash/fish do (which is why I thought writing to zsh-workers instead of zsh-users was perhaps going to be more appropriate). Best, Gergely On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 12:24 PM Roman Perepelitsa < roman.perepelitsa@gmail.com> wrote: > On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 11:58 AM Kalmár Gergely > wrote: > > > > I was wondering if there is an equivalent to Bash's --init-file > > option or fish shell's --init-command option in Zsh or if one can > > hack around to achieve the same effect. I would need to be able to > > source a virtual environment activation file after the Zsh startup > > files were processed (but before a command is executed) in order to > > be able to start a shell or run commands inside a Python virtual > > environment. > > If you are executing a script or a command, then instead of this: > > zsh foo > zsh -c 'foo' > > you can do this: > > zsh -c 'source /path/to/your/file; foo' > > If you need to start an interactive zsh that sources an extra file > after the usual startup files, and if you cannot modify any of the > standard startup files, then https://github.com/romkatv/zshi or > something like it is the only option. Disclaimer: It's my project but > I'm not using this code myself. > > P.S. > > This question is more suitable for zsh-users than zsh-workers. >