No objections here. I think it would be especially useful for large patches. However, if someone were to use git{hub,lab} to submit a PR, should they send a message about it to the list? If so, should discussion about the patch take place on the list, or on git{hub,lab}? What should the mailing list subject be? Should the body simply contain a link to the PR? These are just my immediate thoughts and questions about the approach. Also, I'm terribly sorry if my formatting is poor, I'm a mailing list noon and not using a "real" mail client. ---------- Forwarded message --------- From: Peter Stephenson Date: Thu, Nov 9, 2017, 09:33 Subject: Re: pull requests for completion functions To: (Aplogies for fornatting, on my mobile.) I've certainly got no objection to more flexible arrangements for completion functions if that works. pws On 9 November 2017 16:20:59 GMT+00:00, Oliver Kiddle wrote: >I have tentatively added a short line to the bottom of the contributing >section of the web pages to indicate that completions are acceptable in >the form of pull/merge requests. The link is here: > > http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Arc/git.html > >Can I take silence to mean that people were happy with my suggestion on >this new policy? If not then please speak now, reverting the web page >is >easily done. > >My intended procedure for managing pull requests is as follows. > >First you need to add separate remote repositories: > git remote add gitlab https://gitlab.com/zsh-org/zsh.git > git remote add github https://github.com/zsh-users/zsh.git > >There's a variety of ways to fetch pull requests directly but I add a >line >in .git/config under each section: > > under: [remote "gitlab"] >add: fetch = >+refs/merge-requests/*/head:refs/remotes/gitlab/merge-requests/* > under: [remote "github"] > add: fetch = +refs/pull/*:refs/remotes/github/pr/* > >Many projects use merges but, to keep things as consistent as possible >with current practices, for now I would cherry-pick individual pull >requests and amend the commit to add a ChangeLog entry and reference >to the commit message. For ChangeLog entries and commit messages, the >references might be something like "MR: #1". Or do we need to be more >explicit, e.g. "github PR: #1"? > >Any comments or suggestions would be welcome. > >Oliver -- Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity. -- - Alex