Sorry, I meant "minus one from the normal event count" in my half-baked example. On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 9:11 AM, Derek Gleim wrote: > I understood the real intent of preexec, I hoped I could use it as part of > some work-around for my real goal: to /detect/ when a command was (or, is > about to be, seems to be the more accurate way of putting it?) ignored from > history. Something like "if preexex sees an command destined to be > ignored by > history, add one to the normal event count". Just to re-cap, I thought I > could because of this bit in the manual: > > > If the history mechanism is active (and the line was not discarded from > the > > history buffer), the string that the user typed is passed as the first > > argument, otherwise it is an empty string. > > An impression that was reinforced for me when I also found the first post > Mikael cited: > > > when the current command is discarded from the history (as is often the > case > > when the user is ignoring functions, history commands, and/or lines that > > start with a space) ... so I decided to set the first parameter to an > empty > > string when this happens. > > ... But, I missed the second post linked talking about leaving it off. So, > thanks, not a bug, looks like the docs just need an update (21 days in > 2001, > ha!). > > As an aside, I'd still like to be able to get the prompt expansion `%!` to > always show the number to be assigned to the next command... > > % PROMPT='%! >' zsh --no-rcs --histignorespace > 1 > true ignore me > 2 >this command will really be event 1 > 2 > > > ... maybe it's just me, but it trips me up sometimes (and histnostore has > the > same behavior). But, looks like re-purposing preexec is a dead-end. >