* PATCH: Allow more scripts without #!
@ 2021-01-26  6:35 Justine Tunney
From: Justine Tunney @ 2021-01-26  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

This change updates the binary safety check so that zsh can run shell
scripts with concatenated binary content within the first 128 bytes,
provided a line exists beforehand with a lowercase character or shell
expansion syntax. Note that this only impacts classic implicit shell
scripts which don't have a shebang line.

POSIX rules were updated to loosen binary restrictions and require this
behavior going forward. A similar change was made last year to the FreeBSD
Almquist Shell. It's needed by projects such as the Cosmopolitan C Library,
which creates polyglot executables that run on all operating systems.

I release this change into the public domain. See unlicense / creative
commons cc0.

[-- Attachment #2: execve.patch --]

* Re: PATCH: Allow more scripts without #!
@ 2021-02-15 15:45 ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2021-02-15 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: Justine Tunney

Ping.  This patch hasn't been reviewed.

@ 2021-02-15 22:44   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2021-02-15 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: Justine Tunney

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 7:46 AM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:

> Ping.  This patch hasn't been reviewed.

I looked through it and didn't find any technical issues.  I don't
know what if any effect the "release into the public domain" has on
zsh's license, and I'm not presently in a position to easily pull
patches from list messages into a push-able git sandbox, so I didn't
go any further.

* Re: PATCH: Allow more scripts without #!
@ 2021-02-15 23:06     ` Justine Tunney
From: Justine Tunney @ 2021-02-15 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

I pushed the patch to github too:
https://github.com/jart/zsh/commit/94a4bc14bb2e415ec3d10cf716512bd3e0d99f48
so you could easily pull that. If you need me to sign a copyright
assignment or a contributor license agreement, let me know! I'm happy to do
the legal any way you want.

@ 2021-02-16  9:18     ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2021-02-16  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: Justine Tunney

> On 15 February 2021 at 22:44 Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 7:46 AM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> >
> > Ping.  This patch hasn't been reviewed.
>
> I looked through it and didn't find any technical issues.  I don't
> know what if any effect the "release into the public domain" has on
> zsh's license, and I'm not presently in a position to easily pull
> patches from list messages into a push-able git sandbox, so I didn't
> go any further.

That's fine, being in the public domain means we can do anything we like with
it, but then so can anyone else --- it's a particularly weak requirement compared
with anything we usually have.  I've committed it.

pws

* Re: PATCH: Allow more scripts without #!
@ 2021-02-17 14:53       ` Justine Tunney
From: Justine Tunney @ 2021-02-17 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stephenson; +Cc: zsh-workers