I've just tested with vim -u NONE and it behaves the same way as written before (on step 5) - it clears the line to the beginning On Sun, Nov 7, 2021 at 10:34 PM Lawrence Velázquez wrote: > On Sun, Nov 7, 2021, at 4:15 PM, Taras Halturin wrote: > > Thanks for the reply. Just to make sure if we understand each other. > > > > in vim > > 1. press I for insert mode > > 2. type "asdf" > > 3. ESC for normal mode > > 4. press "shift-a" for append > > 5. press "ctrl-u" <- clears the line till the beginning > > That is not the default behavior. > > https://vimhelp.org/insert.txt.html#i_CTRL-U > > CTRL-U Delete all entered characters before the cursor in the > current line. If there are no newly entered characters and > 'backspace' is not empty, delete all characters before the > cursor in the current line. See `i_backspacing` about > joining lines. > > Do you have the "backspace" option set? > > (If possible, it's good practice to suppress custom settings before > reporting "bugs". [Unless you're discussing a nondefault setting, > of course.] Try your steps in `vim -u NONE`.) > > -- > vq > -- Best Regards. Taras Halturin