zsh-workers
* [RESEND] Is there a way to put a timeout on a function?
@ 2020-09-04  9:15 Aryn Starr
From: Aryn Starr @ 2020-09-04  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Prescript: I sent this email 4 days ago, but somehow it is not appearing in the archives https://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2020/index.html <https://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2020/index.html> . This has happened with my other recent messages to the mailing list, and I am confused as to what is happening. Is this email being received but not put in the archives?

---

I need to limit the execution time of arbitrary zsh functions. Is there a way to achieve this? I'm ok with just adding a time limit to all the external commands, but I do not know how to do that. (I don't want to manually prefix all my commands with the GNU timeout command.)

On a sidenote, I would also like to make the shell stop forcefully (like when a glob fails) if it doesn't find an external command. I thought maybe these two problems might have similar solutions. Is prexec viable for them? Does preexec even work for noninteractive scripts?

* Re: [RESEND] Is there a way to put a timeout on a function?
@ 2020-09-04 18:45 ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2020-09-04 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aryn Starr; +Cc: zsh-workers

Aryn Starr wrote on Fri, 04 Sep 2020 13:45 +0430:
> Is this email being received but not put in the archives?

Yes.  The mhonarc (HTML) archives are not currently being updated.
Messages are, however, being received as usual, and the rfc822 archives
do get updated in real time.

No idea about your question.

* Re: [RESEND] Is there a way to put a timeout on a function?
@ 2020-09-04 19:51   ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2020-09-04 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aryn Starr; +Cc: zsh-workers

Daniel Shahaf wrote on Fri, 04 Sep 2020 18:45 +0000:
> Messages are, however, being received as usual, and the rfc822 archives
> do get updated in real time.

Those are:

https://www.zsh.org/mla/zsh-workers/
https://www.zsh.org/mla/zsh-users/