Today we have this: 0 Wed 10:53:18 ~ 204 Z% cat < I never considered the indent idea. It's a good idea although I don't like the idea of post processing the temp file to remove the > leading white space. I agree the way it is now is not easy to look at, and I can't think of a way to have the ident amount specified > in advance of reading the document. BTW, of historical interest, he also said he stole the heredoc idea from somebody else at Cambridge . I suggested this (Alternative 2), which he liked: 0 Wed 10:53:53 ~ 206 Z% cat \ < You could find another symbol after < Right now are available which now would cause syntax error. I don’t think that would help anything. If the parser doesn’t know how to do the new syntax with the existing << operator, you’ll get an error, and if the parser doesn’t know the new operator, you’ll get an error. Same difference. I propose Alternative 2.