zsh-workers
From: Peter Stephenson <pws@pwstephenson.fsnet.co.uk>
To: zsh-workers@sunsite.auc.dk
Subject: Re: PATCH: Improved _mailboxes
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 17:55:29 +0000	[thread overview]

Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
> Btw, the patch I'm withholding that makes the parser emit wordcode
> directly and that also contains several optimisations to the C-code
> will make such assignments very cheap.
>
> And since I'm talking about patches to come after 3.1.7: I've just
> finished the patch to remove useheap we were talking about (i.e.
> making all allocations use heap or real memory explicitly). It seems
> to works fine until now and it will be tested even more until 3.1.7
> appears, of course.

Frankly, as regards 3.1.* versions, my policy has generally been to put in
pretty much anything that doesn't cause immediate and obvious problems
straight away, rather than delaying it.  There's a big enough user base for
*-dev-* that the bad problems get sorted out pretty quickly; and zsh is
complicated enough that the less bad problems often need the exposure of
the 3.1.x releases to show up at all.  So I shouldn't be shy.  As I said
yesterday, things my end are going to run to a halt for a few weeks.

I'm delighted about the vanishing of useheap --- this was sort of vaguely
on my to-do list, at least to think about over a cup of tea.  This should
reduce the number of memory leaks dramatically.  (Not that we have memory
leaks, of course.)

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@pwstephenson.fsnet.co.uk>