zsh-workers
From: Zefram <zefram@fysh.org>
To: Peter Stephenson <pws@csr.com>
Cc: Zsh hackers list <zsh-workers@sunsite.auc.dk>
Subject: Re: PATCH: C_BASES option for outputting hex and octal
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 21:16:03 +0100 (BST)	[thread overview]

Peter Stephenson wrote:
>Does anyone object to my adding options for trivial things like this?
>Because if so they ought to have got the point and given up objecting years
>ago :-/.  (I finally got fed up with 0x${$(([#16]$num))##*\#}.)

Wouldn't it be nicer to have $(([#0x]$num)) do the 0x-prefixed output,
or some equivalent syntax?  It'd be nicer not to have to fiddle with a
global option to control an essentially local decision.

Hmm.  Perhaps a better way to do this kind of syntax would be to have a
flag to say "don't output a radix prefix", so you'd do "0x$(([#16-]$num))"
to get the 0x prefix.  This is more flexible too, there are plenty of
situations where you want non-decimal output without any standard prefix.

-zefram