zsh-workers
* INTERACTIVE vs. SHINSTDIN
@ 2001-03-25 23:49 Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2001-03-25 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

zagzig[514] Src/zsh -fis <<<'echo hi'
zagzig% read -e
echo hi
zagzig% cat
zagzig%

Hmm, so SHINSTDIN is true, but in fact the shell is not reading commands
from stdin ... yet commands started by the shell read from the actual stdin,
not from where the shell is reading commands from ... I suppose one can get
some interesting effects this way, but is it really the correct behavior?

* Re: INTERACTIVE vs. SHINSTDIN
@ 2001-03-27 18:12 ` Zefram
From: Zefram @ 2001-03-27 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

Bart Schaefer wrote:
>Hmm, so SHINSTDIN is true, but in fact the shell is not reading commands
>from stdin ... yet commands started by the shell read from the actual stdin,
>not from where the shell is reading commands from ... I suppose one can get
>some interesting effects this way, but is it really the correct behavior?

We changed it to be that way some time ago.  In interactive shells,
commands are read by ZLE, which talks to the tty, regardless of stdin.
All is as it should be.  (Leave out the -i in your test case and commands
*are* read from stdin.)

-zefram