zsh-workers
* zsh reference card[s]
@ 1997-12-16  9:29 pws
From: pws @ 1997-12-16  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

I've finally got a more or less presentable version of a `reference
card' for zsh 3.0, except with this being zsh it's actually on six
sides, even three columns to a page.  You can find LaTeX2e source and
PostScript output at

http://www.ifh.de/~pws/computing/refcard.tex
http://www.ifh.de/~pws/computing/refcard.ps

Even spread over six pages the descriptions are terse, and unless you
already know zsh it won't be much use.

The LaTeX uses a few macro packages available in the extended LaTeX2e
distribution (they seem to be present in teTeX).  It is currently
optimised for A4 paper (and the printer here refuses to print it, so
I've relied on gv).  If someone sends me alterations for other formats
I will include them.

Actually, the formatting (quite apart from the inevitable mistakes)
could probably do with some moving around to make more of each section
fit on the same page.  If anybody feels underused and wishes to play
around they should feel free.  It is, however, designed for printing,
so there is not much hope of supporting more general formats like
HTML.  I don't plan on doing any more work on it myself before
Christmas.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@ibmth.difi.unipi.it>       Tel: +39 50 911239
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/

* Re: zsh reference card[s]
@ 1997-12-16 11:48 ` Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 1997-12-16 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

pws@ibmth.difi.unipi.it said:
> I've finally got a more or less presentable version of a `reference
> card' for zsh 3.0, except with this being zsh it's actually on six
> sides, even three columns to a page.

Great!  I think the only thing that's missing is a description of the command
line editing keys.  That's something that would be suitable for a reference
card, I'd have thought.

Also, if you just print it out, the text looks very big.  It would be
comfortable printed 2-up, IMHO.  That may be personal taste, however.

So when can I buy the O'Reilly zsh book complete with reference card?

Heck, throw in some descriptions of the wackier functions (compctl springs to
mind), and I'd buy a desktop reference, like the Perl5 one.  Needs a bit more
to justify that, but not much more.

* Re: zsh reference card[s]
@ 1997-12-16 13:06   ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1997-12-16 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

Bruce Stephens wrote:
> Great!  I think the only thing that's missing is a description of the command
> line editing keys.  That's something that would be suitable for a reference
> card, I'd have thought.

Maybe there's even enough for a separate card, there are a lot of keys,
and even more functions, and when the new zle mechanisms become
standard a zle card will be pretty useful.  What's better, one huge
document or two smaller ones? It could be three with builtins, which would
probably be a good idea to include since there are plenty of commands like
read and print where I can never remember the options.  (I don't suppose
anyone apart from Sven and Zefram knows all the options for compctl.)

> Also, if you just print it out, the text looks very big.  It would be
> comfortable printed 2-up, IMHO.  That may be personal taste, however.

You're probably right, it's just standard 10pt.  I'm sure the Emacs version
is smaller (I didn't start from that because I was too lazy to fit everything
in columns myself and left it up to LaTeX).  I'll have a look at making
it 9pt (or 8pt, 7pt?) at some stage.

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@ifh.de>       Tel: +39 50 911239

@ 1997-12-16 13:55     ` Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 1997-12-16 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

pws@ifh.de said:
> What's better, one huge document or two smaller ones? It could be
> three with builtins, which would probably be a good idea to include
> since there are plenty of commands like read and print where I can
> never remember the options.  (I don't suppose anyone apart from Sven
> and Zefram knows all the options for compctl.)

Probably separate ones.  What's in the current one is great: they're all
things I'm likely to want to look up without necessarily needing the manpage.
I did think of compctl, but if I'm doing anything with that, I'm probably
going to need the manpage anyway.  (Obviously, this will vary from person to
person!)

Using LaTeX rather than hacked TeX is better as far as I'm concerned.  Lots of
the GNU documentation is lovely, but I'd like it using postscript fonts (so it
will re-scale nicely) which is still non-trivial to do.

* Re: zsh reference card[s]
@ 1997-12-16 18:50 ` Wessel Dankers
From: Wessel Dankers @ 1997-12-16 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997 pws@ibmth.difi.unipi.it wrote:

> Actually, the formatting (quite apart from the inevitable mistakes)
> could probably do with some moving around to make more of each section
> fit on the same page.  If anybody feels underused and wishes to play
> around they should feel free.  It is, however, designed for printing,
> so there is not much hope of supporting more general formats like
> HTML.  I don't plan on doing any more work on it myself before
> Christmas.

Could I revise the LaTeX please? I'm Dutch, so I don't care much about
that `christmas' thing of yours... Sinterklaas rules! :-)

--
Wessel Dankers