zsh-workers
* zle
@ 1998-08-13  6:17 Lalo Martins
From: Lalo Martins @ 1998-08-13  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I'm having a lot of problems with using readline in a project,
and I suggested to the other developers that we use zle instead.
It's very likely that we will do that, if we can rip it apart of
zsh. ;-)

This made me wonder. Why not make it a library? As an
alternative to readline? Now readline is cool, but we all know
zle does better in a whole lot of ways.

[I'm not subscribed to any zsh list, CC me if you want me to see
your reply]

[]s,
                                               +----
--
        When it feels like I'm going crazy,
     Found a cure to get me trough another day...

Free Software Union       --       http://www.fslu.org

       The Ox project        (BADLY NEEDING HELP)
              http://www.webcom.com/lalo/ox

* Re: zle
@ 1998-08-15 16:14 ` Todd Graham Lewis
From: Todd Graham Lewis @ 1998-08-15 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: Lalo Martins

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Lalo Martins wrote:

> This made me wonder. Why not make it a library? As an
> alternative to readline? Now readline is cool, but we all know
> zle does better in a whole lot of ways.

This reminds me of a similar idea which I had.  It'd be nice if the text
entrie widgets in the GTK X toolkit had readline/zle-style behaviour.
I think that it'd be in line with what the GTK people are trying to
accomplish if you could, say, have some global setting which says
"Hey! I'm a vi person!" and then do ^, $, dw, etc. inside text entry
widgets.  Man, tab-completion in the file selection widget.  That would
just completely rock.

Anyway, I briefly thought about yanking zle out and using it, since,
as everyone on this list knows, it's the best.  8^)  I decided not to
do it because I'm a bad programmer, but also because I would have to
pull zle out of zsh myself.  If it were libified, then projects like
that would be much easier.

Thanks for zsh!

--
Todd Graham Lewis                                     (800) 719-4664, x2804
******Linux******         MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@mindspring.net

* libzle (was Re: zle)
@ 1998-08-16 23:59 ` Lalo Martins
From: Lalo Martins @ 1998-08-16 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Ok, I'm now officially ripping zle out of zsh and building a
library libzle out of it. If anybody is willing to help, that
would be greatly appreciated (I had my first glances at zsh
sources a few moments ago).

If you think that should be an "official" zsh-team project, just
so great. Should that be conducted in one of the existing lists?
Or would you be willing to provide a new list, so people not
involved aren't bothered by us?

[I'm not yet subscribed to any of the zsh lists, I will once I
get impressions concerning where should this work happen]

[]s,
                                               +----
--
        When it feels like I'm going crazy,
     Found a cure to get me trough another day...
                 pgp key in the web page

Free Software Union       --       http://www.fslu.org

       The Ox project        (BADLY NEEDING HELP)
              http://www.webcom.com/lalo/ox

* Re: libzle (was Re: zle)
@ 1998-08-17  0:32   ` Richard Coleman
From: Richard Coleman @ 1998-08-17  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lalo Martins; +Cc: zsh-workers

> Ok, I'm now officially ripping zle out of zsh and building a
> library libzle out of it. If anybody is willing to help, that
> would be greatly appreciated (I had my first glances at zsh
> sources a few moments ago).

I believe you will find this extremely difficult.  Last time I
looked, the completion code would dig around in just about every
data structure in zsh (the downside of programmable completion).

--
Richard Coleman
coleman@math.gatech.edu

* Re: libzle (was Re: zle)
@ 1998-08-17  0:41     ` Lalo Martins
From: Lalo Martins @ 1998-08-17  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Coleman; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Aug 16, Richard Coleman decided to present us with:
> > Ok, I'm now officially ripping zle out of zsh and building a
> > library libzle out of it. If anybody is willing to help, that
> > would be greatly appreciated (I had my first glances at zsh
> > sources a few moments ago).
>
> I believe you will find this extremely difficult.  Last time I
> looked, the completion code would dig around in just about every
> data structure in zsh (the downside of programmable completion).

Let's hope it's not _impossible_... we all know how great zle
is. It will likely make completion code dig around just about
every data structure in programs that use libzle... so what? ;-)

[]s,
                                               +----