zsh-workers
* _mount linux centric?
@ 2002-04-11 20:10 Jason Price
From: Jason Price @ 2002-04-11 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

_mount under solaris doesn't work.  It gives an error of:

_mount:758: no such file or directory: /etc/mtab

Mainly because the same file is called /etc/mntab rather than /etc/mtab.

I'm not good enough to translate the function.  However the format is very
similar:

>From the man page for mnttab under solaris 8 (and I believe it's good
going back to at least solaris 2.6.):

     Each entry is a line of fields separated by  spaces  in  the
     form:

          special   mount_point   fstype   options   time

     where

     special
           The name of the resource to be mounted.

     mount_point
           The pathname of the directory on which the  filesystem
           is mounted.

     fstype
           The file system type of the mounted file system.

     options
           The mount options. (See respective mount  file  system
           man page in SEE ALSO.)

     time  The time at which the file system was mounted.

And under debian it seems to be:

	special   mount_point   fstype   options   ???   ???

So the conversion SHOULD be simple...  However s,/etc/mtab,/etc/mnttab,g
didn't work.

--Jason

--
"Friendship is the bridge between lonely and loved, between a glance and a
gaze. It stretches from the fog into sunshine, hopelessness into faith,

* Re: _mount linux centric?
@ 2002-04-11 21:33 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2002-04-11 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Price; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Jason Price wrote:

> Mainly because the same file is called /etc/mntab rather than /etc/mtab.

It's mnttab that's Solaris-centric, not _mount that's linux-centric.
There are lots of other platforms that use mtab.

> I'm not good enough to translate the function.

I don't know what $OSTYPE is set to on Solaris 8 (I only have access to
an old SunOS 5.5 machine), but I suspect the `freesbsd*' clause in the
`case "$OSTYPE"' statement near the end of _mount will work just as well
on Solaris, so just add an appropriate word to that pattern.

And then let us know what the appropriate word is, so we can include it in
the distribution.

* Re: _mount linux centric?
@ 2002-04-12  3:52   ` Jason Price
From: Jason Price @ 2002-04-12  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

>> Mainly because the same file is called /etc/mntab rather than /etc/mtab.
> It's mnttab that's Solaris-centric, not _mount that's linux-centric.
> There are lots of other platforms that use mtab.

My mistake.  Those are the two OS's that I'm most familiar with.

>> I'm not good enough to translate the function.
> I don't know what $OSTYPE is set to on Solaris 8 (I only have access to
> an old SunOS 5.5 machine), but I suspect the `freesbsd*' clause in the
> `case "$OSTYPE"' statement near the end of _mount will work just as well
> on Solaris, so just add an appropriate word to that pattern.

$OSTYPE for solaris 8 is "solaris2.8"

(As an aside, I've mentioned this before, but I have access to LOTS of sun
boxes.  If given some time, I can probably get to testing things pretty
well.)

I'll try and work on _mount tomorrow.

Jason