zsh-workers
From: "Greg J. Badros" <gjb@moa.cs.duke.edu>
To: Bruce Stephens <stephens@math.ruu.nl>
Cc: zsh-workers@math.gatech.edu
Subject: Re: patches to give colorized file listings
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 10:07:34 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Bruce Stephens wrote:

> I like it, but there are a couple of things I don't like.
>
> The technical one is that it seems to depend on the listtypes option,
> so I can either have colours and characters indicating the types, or
> characters indicating the types, or nothing.  I'd like to be able to
> have just colours.

This is pretty doable, but since I use file types I attacked that side
first to see what other snags came up... few did, so I went forward.  I
can easily add the code to both parts, or better, factor it out and make
it a little bit cleaner, too.

> The other one is an IPR problem: it uses the patch that gives the GNU
> fileutils package colourized ls (included in the latest fileutils), so
> what's the copyright position on this?  Personally, I don't care, but I
> thought some people wanted to keep zsh from being infected with the
> GPL?

I looked through the color-ls patch, and have no idea what their copy
policy is.  My distribution of the patch is a single gz file, so it's hard
to say.  I've not been following the group long enough to know about a
history of GPL infection fright. :-)  It's actually not that complicated
an ordeal, but I don't believe in reinventing the wheel, plus it'd be
confusing if zsh colorized listing worked differently that ls's.  Anybody
know more about color-ls?

> --
> Bruce Stephens			| email: B.Stephens@math.ruu.nl

Greg J. Badros