zsh-workers
* Here-doc glitch, and null commands
@ 1997-02-27 16:55 Thorsten Meinecke
From: Thorsten Meinecke @ 1997-02-27 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hello there,
this is as of zsh-3.0.3-test4.

Here-documents inside command/process substitution won't behave
when they contain an unmatched single or double quote.  Complains
about "parse error near `$(<<__END__'.", and when entered inter-
actively, one is caught in `cmdsubst>'.  Example:

echo $(<<__END__
Doesn't work.
__END__)

Now that I'm thinking about it, `<<' in command position is a null
command.  Why isn't this too, but a parse error?

< <<__END__
Feed this to $NULLCMD.
__END__

And while I'm at it: to get sh/ksh-like behaviour, invoke as sh/ksh
or set NULLCMD to `:'.  In order to flag errors, more in csh's
spirit, one have to explicitly unset NULLCMD.  Built-in emulate
can't help, it doesn't change special parameters.

It's a mess, but all of this can be found in the documention.

Except that it doesn't mention that NULLCMD will be set to `:'
after invocation as sh/ksh.  Hence, wouldn't NULLCMD fit better in
as a special parameter "automatically set by the shell", which can
be assigned to, or something?

Regards,
--Thorsten

* Re: Here-doc glitch, and null commands
@ 1997-02-28  7:16 ` Andrej Borsenkow
From: Andrej Borsenkow @ 1997-02-28  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Thorsten Meinecke wrote:

> Hello there,
> this is as of zsh-3.0.3-test4.
>
> Here-documents inside command/process substitution won't behave
> when they contain an unmatched single or double quote.  Complains
> about "parse error near `$(<<__END__'.", and when entered inter-
> actively, one is caught in `cmdsubst>'.  Example:
>
> echo $(<<__END__
> Doesn't work.
> __END__)

(Almost) the same in 3.1.1 (I doubt, if $(<< ...) is legal):

[1]bor@itsrm1:~%> echo $(
cmdsubst> cat << EOF
cmdsubst> doesn't work
cmdsubst> EOF
cmdsubst> )
cmdsubst>

greetings

Andrej Borsenkow 		Fax:   +7 (095) 252 01 05
SNI ITS Moscow			Tel:   +7 (095) 252 13 88

NERV:  borsenkow.msk		E-Mail: borsenkow.msk@sni.de