zsh-workers
* Re: zsh 4.0.1 build fails on Nextstep 3.3
@ 2001-06-18 17:25 ` Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 2001-06-18 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Sell, Zsh hackers list

Juergen Sell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I get error from configure:
>
> >checking where signal.h is located... awk: syntax error near line 1
> >awk: illegal statement near line 1
>
> and compiling fails:
>
> awk -f ../Src/makepro.awk builtin.c Src > builtin.syms
> awk: syntax error near line 15
> awk: illegal statement near line 15

Looks like your awk isn't up to it.  I don't understand the first error ---
can't use subscripted variables?  but the second set appear to be because
gsub is mssing.  NextStep 3.* was supposed to build out of the box,
according to MACHINES.  I wonder if it's related to the following?

Apple/NeXT OpenStep 4.2 for i386.
	Reported to work at least with gcc 2.8.1 and gawk 2.15 patchlevel
	6, but not with the bundled cc 2.7.2.1 and awk.

Are you able to try with gawk (or any other Xawk for non-empty X)?

CSR Ltd., Unit 300, Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0XL, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 392070

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.

* zsh 4.0.1 build fails on Nextstep 3.3
@ 2001-06-18 17:57 Juergen Sell
From: Juergen Sell @ 2001-06-18 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi,

I get error from configure:

>checking where signal.h is located... awk: syntax error near line 1
>awk: illegal statement near line 1
>/usr/include/bsd/sys/signal.h
>checking where the RLIMIT macros are located... /usr/include/bsd/sys/resource.h

>zsh configuration
>-----------------
>zsh version               : 4.0.1
>host operating system     : m68k-next-nextstep3
>source code location      : .
>compiler                  : cc
>preprocessor flags        :
>executable compiler flags :  -Wall -Wno-implicit -Wmissing-prototypes -O2
>executable linker flags   :   -s
>library flags             : -ltermcap -lm

and compiling fails:
awk -f ./signames1.awk /usr/include/bsd/sys/signal.h >sigtmp.c
cc -E -traditional-cpp sigtmp.c >sigtmp.out
awk -f ./signames2.awk sigtmp.out > signames.c
rm -f sigtmp.c sigtmp.out
grep 'define.*SIGCOUNT' signames.c > sigcount.h
Updated `zsh.mdh'.
echo 'timestamp for zsh.mdh against zsh.mdd' > zsh.mdhs
awk -f ../Src/makepro.awk builtin.c Src > builtin.syms
awk: syntax error near line 15
awk: illegal statement near line 15
awk: syntax error near line 16
awk: illegal statement near line 16
awk: syntax error near line 18
awk: illegal statement near line 18
awk: syntax error near line 46
awk: illegal statement near line 46
awk: syntax error near line 48
awk: illegal statement near line 48
awk: syntax error near line 54
awk: illegal statement near line 54
awk: illegal statement near line 54
awk: syntax error near line 58
awk: illegal statement near line 58
awk: syntax error near line 59
awk: illegal statement near line 59
awk: syntax error near line 66
awk: illegal statement near line 66
awk: syntax error near line 68
awk: illegal statement near line 68
awk: syntax error near line 70
awk: illegal statement near line 70
awk: syntax error near line 72
awk: illegal statement near line 72
awk: syntax error near line 74
awk: illegal statement near line 74
awk: syntax error near line 76
awk: illegal statement near line 76
awk: syntax error near line 79
awk: illegal statement near line 79
awk: syntax error near line 80
awk: illegal statement near line 80
awk: syntax error near line 82
awk: illegal statement near line 82
awk: syntax error near line 87
awk: illegal statement near line 87
awk: syntax error near line 90
awk: illegal statement near line 90
awk: syntax error near line 96
awk: illegal statement near line 96
awk: syntax error near line 97
awk: illegal statement near line 97
awk: syntax error near line 99
awk: illegal statement near line 99
awk: syntax error near line 102
awk: illegal statement near line 102
awk: syntax error near line 103
awk: illegal statement near line 103
awk: syntax error near line 106
awk: illegal statement near line 106
awk: syntax error near line 107
awk: illegal statement near line 107
awk: syntax error near line 107
awk: bailing out near line 107
awk: newline in regular expression near line 107
*** Exit 2
*** `builtin.syms' removed
Stop.
*** Exit 1