zsh-workers
 help / color / Atom feed
* using dynamic patterns on the left hand side of case statement clauses
@ 2020-03-18 23:54 scowles
  2020-03-19  1:29 ` Lawrence Velázquez
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: scowles @ 2020-03-18 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list


i would like to use dynamic patterns on the left hand side of clauses in case 
statements.

i'm working in zsh current as of 3.1-91-g7595b22e on ubu 19.10.

the options set for this example are:
    setopt extended_glob
    setopt glob
    setopt no_no_match
    setopt no_null_glob

the code is:
    typeset -a a b c
    a=( one two three four )
    b=( 16 17 18 19 20 )
    c=( two 20 )
    vb=$'|'
    for d in ${c}
    do
       case ${d} in
           $( eval echo ${(j:${vb}:)a} ) ) echo "1 found it" ;;
           $( eval echo ${(j:${vb}:)b} ) ) echo "2 found it" ;;
           * )                             echo "did not find it" ;;
       esac
    done


but, when i run the code, the interpreter escapes all the vbars and forces the
entire lhs pattern to be a string.

does the case structure not allow this use case?  or am i just missing something
from not reading docs carefully enough?

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: using dynamic patterns on the left hand side of case statement clauses
  2020-03-18 23:54 using dynamic patterns on the left hand side of case statement clauses scowles
@ 2020-03-19  1:29 ` Lawrence Velázquez
  2020-03-19  4:38   ` Phil Pennock
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Lawrence Velázquez @ 2020-03-19  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: scowles; +Cc: zsh-workers

> On Mar 18, 2020, at 7:54 PM, scowles@ckhb.org wrote:
> 
> 
> i would like to use dynamic patterns on the left hand side of clauses
> in case statements.
> 
> i'm working in zsh current as of 3.1-91-g7595b22e on ubu 19.10.
> 
> the options set for this example are:
>   setopt extended_glob
>   setopt glob
>   setopt no_no_match
>   setopt no_null_glob
> 
> the code is:
>   typeset -a a b c
>   a=( one two three four )
>   b=( 16 17 18 19 20 )
>   c=( two 20 )
>   vb=$'|'
>   for d in ${c}
>   do
>      case ${d} in
>          $( eval echo ${(j:${vb}:)a} ) ) echo "1 found it" ;;
>          $( eval echo ${(j:${vb}:)b} ) ) echo "2 found it" ;;
>          * )                             echo "did not find it" ;;
>      esac
>   done
> 
> 
> but, when i run the code, the interpreter escapes all the vbars and
> forces the entire lhs pattern to be a string.
> 
> does the case structure not allow this use case?  or am i just
> missing something from not reading docs carefully enough?

The result of an unquoted command substitution is not eligible for
interpretation as a pattern unless GLOB_SUBST is set. (See the
"COMMAND SUBSTITUTION" section of the zshexpn(1) man page, as well
as the "GLOB_SUBST" entry of the zshoptions(1) man page.) So to
make your code work, you could just add `setopt glob_subst`.

However, you can achieve the same result without the ugly
`$(eval echo BLAH)` contortions:

    % zsh --version
    zsh 5.8 (x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0)
    % cat /tmp/zsh-case-test
    setopt extended_glob no_no_match

    a=(one two three four)
    b=(16 17 18 19 20)
    c=(two 20)

    for d in ${c}; do
        case ${d} in
            ${(j:|:)~a} ) echo "1 found it" ;;
            ${(j:|:)~b} ) echo "2 found it" ;;
            * ) echo "did not find it" ;;
        esac
    done
    % zsh -f /tmp/zsh-case-test
    1 found it
    2 found it
    %

Search the zshexpn(1) man page for "${~spec}" for a more thorough
explanation, but the '~' basically turns GLOB_SUBST on for just
that parameter expansion.

vq

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: using dynamic patterns on the left hand side of case statement clauses
  2020-03-19  1:29 ` Lawrence Velázquez
@ 2020-03-19  4:38   ` Phil Pennock
  2020-03-19  5:25     ` Lawrence Velázquez
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Phil Pennock @ 2020-03-19  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lawrence Velázquez; +Cc: scowles, zsh-workers

On 2020-03-18 at 21:29 -0400, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
> Search the zshexpn(1) man page for "${~spec}" for a more thorough
> explanation, but the '~' basically turns GLOB_SUBST on for just
> that parameter expansion.

Good stuff, but I'll offer up one refinement: you can turn on GLOB_SUBST
just for the joining pattern, without turning it on for the entire
pattern.

    % a=('a*' beta gamma delta)
    % c=('alpha', 'a*' 'apple')
    % for d in $c; do case $d in
        ${(j:|:)~a} ) echo "match in a for ${(q-)d}" ;;
        *) echo "no match for ${(q-)d}" ;;
      esac; done
    match in a for alpha,
    match in a for 'a*'
    match in a for apple
    % for d in $c; do case $d in
        ${(~j:|:)a} ) echo "match in a for ${(q-)d}" ;;
        *) echo "no match for ${(q-)d}" ;;
      esac; done
    no match for alpha,
    match in a for 'a*'
    no match for apple

You can thank Peter Stephenson for adding the support for that, when I
was asking about implementing set manipulation for arbitrary content
using zsh auto-unique arrays, some years ago now.

-Phil

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: using dynamic patterns on the left hand side of case statement clauses
  2020-03-19  4:38   ` Phil Pennock
@ 2020-03-19  5:25     ` Lawrence Velázquez
  2020-03-19 17:47       ` scowles
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Lawrence Velázquez @ 2020-03-19  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Pennock; +Cc: scowles, zsh-workers

> On Mar 19, 2020, at 12:38 AM, Phil Pennock
> <zsh-workers+phil.pennock@spodhuis.org> wrote:
> 
> On 2020-03-18 at 21:29 -0400, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>> Search the zshexpn(1) man page for "${~spec}" for a more thorough
>> explanation, but the '~' basically turns GLOB_SUBST on for just
>> that parameter expansion.
> 
> Good stuff, but I'll offer up one refinement: you can turn on
> GLOB_SUBST just for the joining pattern, without turning it on for
> the entire pattern.

Oh whoa, that's neat!

vq

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: using dynamic patterns on the left hand side of case statement clauses
  2020-03-19  5:25     ` Lawrence Velázquez
@ 2020-03-19 17:47       ` scowles
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: scowles @ 2020-03-19 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: Lawrence Velázquez, Phil Pennock


many thanks to you, both.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-03-18 23:54 using dynamic patterns on the left hand side of case statement clauses scowles
2020-03-19  1:29 ` Lawrence Velázquez
2020-03-19  4:38   ` Phil Pennock
2020-03-19  5:25     ` Lawrence Velázquez
2020-03-19 17:47       ` scowles

zsh-workers

Archives are clonable: git clone --mirror http://inbox.vuxu.org/zsh-workers

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.vuxu.org/vuxu.archive.zsh.workers


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git