zsh-workers
* Codespell report for "zsh" (on fossies.org)
@ 2020-01-09 12:05 Fossies Administrator
From: Fossies Administrator @ 2020-01-09 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi,

the FOSS server fossies.org - also supporting "zsh" - offers a new feature
"Source code misspelling reports":

  https://fossies.org/features.html#codespell

Such reports are normally only generated on request, but as Fossies
administrator I have just created (for testing purposes) an analysis for
the current "zsh" release 5.7.1:

  https://fossies.org/linux/misc/zsh/codespell.html

That version-independent (not linked) URL should redirect always to the
last report (if available), so currently to

  https://fossies.org/linux/misc/zsh-5.7.1.tar.xz/codespell.html

Just for information there are also two supplemental pages

  https://fossies.org/linux/misc/zsh/codespell_conf.html

showing some used "codespell" configurations and

  https://fossies.org/linux/misc/zsh/codespell_fps.html

showing all resulting obvious "false positives".

Maybe more meaningful is an additional report for the current Git master
version that can be found in a special "test" folder (that isn't
integrated in the Fossies standard services and should - at least
principally - not accessible by search engines):

  https://fossies.org/linux/test/zsh-code-4858e868dcf809016a1cb5680327d66d551353ae.zip/codespell.html

Obviously in that current development version some of the spelling errors
respectively typos are already fixed.

Regards

Jens

--
FOSSIES - The Fresh Open Source Software archive
mainly for Internet, Engineering and Science

* Re: Codespell report for "zsh" (on fossies.org)
@ 2020-01-09 13:50 ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2020-01-09 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fossies Administrator; +Cc: zsh-workers

Fossies Administrator wrote on Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 13:05:13 +0100:
> the FOSS server fossies.org - also supporting "zsh" - offers a new feature
> "Source code misspelling reports":
>
>  https://fossies.org/features.html#codespell
>
> Such reports are normally only generated on request, but as Fossies
> administrator I have just created (for testing purposes) an analysis for the
> current "zsh" release 5.7.1:
>
>  https://fossies.org/linux/misc/zsh/codespell.html
> Maybe more meaningful is an additional report for the current Git master
> version that can be found in a special "test" folder (that isn't integrated
> in the Fossies standard services and should - at least principally - not
> accessible by search engines):
>
>  https://fossies.org/linux/test/zsh-code-4858e868dcf809016a1cb5680327d66d551353ae.zip/codespell.html
>
> Obviously in that current development version some of the spelling errors
> respectively typos are already fixed.

Thanks a lot.  I've committed it, minus the archived changelog files (I left
them as-is for ease of correlation to git logs), false positives, and variant
spellings.

Is it possible to get the report in the form of a unidiff?  Basically the first
thing I did with the report is to convert it to a wdiff, with the following
script:

[[[
#!/usr/bin/env zsh

setopt extendedglob

< fossies.out while IFS=$'\t\n' read -r ignore from to fname_and_parenthesized_lineno; do
  fname=${fname_and_parenthesized_lineno%% *}
  parenthesized_lineno=${fname_and_parenthesized_lineno#* }
  if printf %s $from $to | grep -E -q '^[A-Za-z0-9_]+$'; then
    perl -pi -E "s/\\b\\Q$from\\E\\b/$to/ if \$. == $parenthesized_lineno" -- ${fname#*/}
  else
    echo >&2 "$0: warning: skipped [$from $to $fname $parenthesized_lineno]"
  fi
done
]]]

… where fossies.out was created by copy-pasting the table from firefox into a text file.

Thanks again.

Daniel

* Re: Codespell report for "zsh" (on fossies.org)
@ 2020-01-09 14:54   ` Fossies Administrator
From: Fossies Administrator @ 2020-01-09 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Shahaf; +Cc: zsh-workers

Hi Daniel,

> Fossies Administrator wrote on Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 13:05:13 +0100:
>> the FOSS server fossies.org - also supporting "zsh" - offers a new feature
>> "Source code misspelling reports":
>>
>>  https://fossies.org/features.html#codespell
>>
>> Such reports are normally only generated on request, but as Fossies
>> administrator I have just created (for testing purposes) an analysis for the
>> current "zsh" release 5.7.1:
>>
>>  https://fossies.org/linux/misc/zsh/codespell.html
> ⋮
>> Maybe more meaningful is an additional report for the current Git master
>> version that can be found in a special "test" folder (that isn't integrated
>> in the Fossies standard services and should - at least principally - not
>> accessible by search engines):
>>
>>  https://fossies.org/linux/test/zsh-code-4858e868dcf809016a1cb5680327d66d551353ae.zip/codespell.html
>>
>> Obviously in that current development version some of the spelling errors
>> respectively typos are already fixed.
>
> Thanks a lot.  I've committed it, minus the archived changelog files (I left
> them as-is for ease of correlation to git logs), false positives, and variant
> spellings.
>
> Is it possible to get the report in the form of a unidiff?

The request is understandable and I thought about such a Fossies service
but since I'm not sure which of the matched words are really spelling
errors or typos that could respectively should be corrected Fossies offers
only the information (especially variable and class names, mail addresses
and words that directly "touch" some kinds of delimiters or escape
characters may be problematic, some spelling corrections may be ambiguous,
some words can be deliberately misspelled and some corrections may have
unwanted side effects).

So a vague idea was to make the spelling errors selectable and then to
create multiple (or even one) unidiff files but that isn't trivial to
realize and for e.g. probably not usable by projects using GitHub.

By the way, the basically used tool "codespell"
(https://github.com/codespell-project/codespell) offers an option
"--write-changes" to "write changes in place if possible".

> Basically the first thing I did with the report is to convert it to a
> wdiff, with the following script:
>
> [[[
> #!/usr/bin/env zsh
>
> setopt extendedglob
>
> < fossies.out while IFS=$'\t\n' read -r ignore from to fname_and_parenthesized_lineno; do
>  fname=${fname_and_parenthesized_lineno%% *}
>  parenthesized_lineno=${fname_and_parenthesized_lineno#* }
>  if printf %s $from $to | grep -E -q '^[A-Za-z0-9_]+$'; then
>    perl -pi -E "s/\\b\\Q$from\\E\\b/$to/ if \$. == $parenthesized_lineno" -- ${fname#*/}
>  else
>    echo >&2 "$0: warning: skipped [$from $to $fname $parenthesized_lineno]"
>  fi
> done
> ]]]
>
> … where fossies.out was created by copy-pasting the table from firefox into a text file.

Interesting.

Wow, since I saw that already many corrections are done (Mikael?)
I created just a new report (excluding all the files */Etc/ChangeLog-*):

  https://fossies.org/linux/test/zsh-code-742ab1283bf383932ff2daec1f93731ddfb31282.zip/codespell.html

Looks much better!

Regards

Jens

--

@ 2020-01-09 15:49     ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2020-01-09 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fossies Administrator; +Cc: Daniel Shahaf, zsh-workers

On 1/9/20, Fossies Administrator <Jens.Schleusener@fossies.org> wrote:

> Wow, since I saw that already many corrections are done (Mikael?)
> I created just a new report (excluding all the files */Etc/ChangeLog-*):
>

> https://fossies.org/linux/test/zsh-code-742ab1283bf383932ff2daec1f93731ddfb31282.zip/codespell.html
>
> Looks much better!
>
> Regards
>
> Jens

Hi, I should probably have checked in the irc channel, seems like me
and Daniel did the same thing :). I picked up just a few changes that
he missed and vice versa. I think the ones remaining in the latest
report above we both left out on purpose, eg they are acceptable
alternate spellings. I guess convertable is technically wrong, but
convertible just sounds like a car :).

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: Codespell report for "zsh" (on fossies.org)
@ 2020-01-09 16:43       ` Fossies Administrator
From: Fossies Administrator @ 2020-01-09 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Magnusson; +Cc: Daniel Shahaf, zsh-workers

Hi Mikael,

> On 1/9/20, Fossies Administrator <Jens.Schleusener@fossies.org> wrote:
>>
>> Wow, since I saw that already many corrections are done (Mikael?)
>> I created just a new report (excluding all the files */Etc/ChangeLog-*):
>>

>> https://fossies.org/linux/test/zsh-code-742ab1283bf383932ff2daec1f93731ddfb31282.zip/codespell.html
>>
>> Looks much better!
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jens
>
> Hi, I should probably have checked in the irc channel, seems like me
> and Daniel did the same thing :). I picked up just a few changes that
> he missed and vice versa. I think the ones remaining in the latest
> report above we both left out on purpose, eg they are acceptable
> alternate spellings. I guess convertable is technically wrong, but
> convertible just sounds like a car :).

Ok.

I'm impressed how fast this not very important issue was nevertheless
solved!

Thanks

Jens

--

@ 2020-01-09 17:38     ` Daniel Shahaf
From: Daniel Shahaf @ 2020-01-09 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fossies Administrator; +Cc: zsh-workers

Fossies Administrator wrote on Thu, 09 Jan 2020 14:54 +00:00:
> Fossies Administrator wrote on Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 13:05:13 +0100:
> > Is it possible to get the report in the form of a unidiff?
> So a vague idea was to make the spelling errors selectable and then to
> create multiple (or even one) unidiff files

I just used «git add -p» to pick and choose which changes to
stage/commit and which not to.  (Specifically, I used «git -c
interactive.diffFilter="perl /usr/share/doc/git/contrib/diff-highlight/diff-highlight"
that command finished, I reviewed «git diff --word-diff --cached»,
committed it, and reverted the local changes (which were the false
positives, etc; I'd made sure I had no local changes before I applied
all the detected typo fixes).

> but that isn't trivial to realize and for e.g. probably not usable by
> projects using GitHub.

Yeah, github doesn't provide a UI for this, AFAIK.

> By the way, the basically used tool "codespell"
> (https://github.com/codespell-project/codespell) offers an option
> "--write-changes" to "write changes in place if possible".

*nod*

Cheers,

Daniel