-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: Possible huge setarrvalue optimization Local Time: December 24, 2016 6:19 PM UTC Time: December 24, 2016 5:19 PM From: d.s@daniel.shahaf.name To: Zsh hackers list Sebastian Gniazdowski Bart Schaefer wrote on Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 09:41:48 -0800: > This and the proposed getstr optimization both make me nervous. I know > Sebastian is anxious to have them appear in the next release, but it feels > and if we should have more time using them in dev branches. I assume we can go ahead now. Here's a revised patch based on my review upthread: You then wrote: "Should this line check that «v->pm->gsu.a.setfn == arrsetfn»? Should this line check that «pm->ename == NULL» [since arrsetfn() handles such arrays specially]?" I think both propositions are good, especially the ename check – activated when parameter is being automatically exported – if I understand correctly. You could fix this by including code activated in the normal setter when ename is not null – like Peter did with string optimization. This way auto-exported arrays will still be optimized. Best regards, Sebastian Gniazdowski