zsh-workers
* zsh/complist and compinit
@ 2000-02-01 14:29 Alexandre Duret-Lutz
From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz @ 2000-02-01 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

A small question about menu completion:

This will work:

phobos% zmodload zsh/complist
phobos% autoload -U compinit
phobos% compinit
phobos% bindkey ^[m menu-select
phobos% echo /<M-m>

while this won't:

phobos% autoload -U compinit
phobos% compinit
phobos% zmodload zsh/complist
phobos% bindkey ^[m menu-select
phobos% echo /<M-m>

Does the order of compinit and complist really matters?

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz

* Re: zsh/complist and compinit
@ 2000-02-01 16:11 ` Alexandre Duret-Lutz
From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz @ 2000-02-01 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Wischnowsky; +Cc: zsh-workers

>>> "Sven" == Sven Wischnowsky <wischnow@informatik.hu-berlin.de> writes:

[...]

 Sven> Yes. compinit can override the definition for the menu-select widget
 Sven> only if the complist module is already loaded. We can't do that in
 Sven> advance.

Ah, ok.

 Sven> Of course you can add the `zle -C menu-select .menu-select
 Sven> _main_complete' by hand, but maybe we should document that
 Sven> somewhere.

At least it would have helped me to
see a warning about the order of complist
and compinit in the doc of zsh/complist.

And by the way, since I am speaking of thing that
would help in the doc: I remember having spent
a lot of time to figure out that the group pattern
(of complist color definition) needed
group-name style to be set in order to work.

[...]

--

@ 2000-02-01 14:48 Sven Wischnowsky
From: Sven Wischnowsky @ 2000-02-01 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

> A small question about menu completion:
>
> This will work:
>
> phobos% zmodload zsh/complist
> phobos% autoload -U compinit
> phobos% compinit
> phobos% bindkey ^[m menu-select
> phobos% echo /<M-m>
>
> while this won't:
>
> phobos% autoload -U compinit
> phobos% compinit
> phobos% zmodload zsh/complist
> phobos% bindkey ^[m menu-select
> phobos% echo /<M-m>
>
> Does the order of compinit and complist really matters?

Yes. compinit can override the definition for the menu-select widget
only if the complist module is already loaded. We can't do that in
advance.

Of course you can add the `zle -C menu-select .menu-select _main_complete'
by hand, but maybe we should document that somewhere.

Bye
 Sven