zsh-workers
* trouble downloading
@ 2008-08-29 20:51 Dave Yost
From: Dave Yost @ 2008-08-29 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Can't see how to download the latest sources for building.

Go to http://zsh.sourceforge.net/
Note the 'Download' heading.
  -> Hmm. must be either under Contents or Mirrors.
Click on Contents
  -> Here I see only filenames, not complete URLs. Gotta make one up.
Try http://zsh.sourceforge.net/zsh.tar.bz2
  -> Nope. gets an error page
Try http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Arc/zsh.tar.bz2
  -> Nope. gets an error page

* Re: trouble downloading
       [not found] <pdy98830624082bc4de10ce2bfd@192.168.1.2>
@ 2008-08-29 21:14 ` Mikael Magnusson
From: Mikael Magnusson @ 2008-08-29 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Yost; +Cc: zsh-workers

2008/8/29 Dave Yost <Dave@yost.com>:
> Can't see how to download the latest sources for building.
>
> Go to http://zsh.sourceforge.net/
> Note the 'Download' heading.
>  -> Hmm. must be either under Contents or Mirrors.
> Click on Contents
>  -> Here I see only filenames, not complete URLs. Gotta make one up.
> Try http://zsh.sourceforge.net/zsh.tar.bz2
>  -> Nope. gets an error page
> Try http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Arc/zsh.tar.bz2
>  -> Nope. gets an error page

And when you go back and click on Mirrors instead?

--
Mikael Magnusson

* Re: trouble downloading
@ 2008-08-29 22:50   ` Dave Yost
From: Dave Yost @ 2008-08-29 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Magnusson; +Cc: zsh-workers

At 11:14 PM +0200 2008-08-29, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
>2008/8/29 Dave Yost <Dave@yost.com>:
>> Can't see how to download the latest sources for building.
>>
> > Go to http://zsh.sourceforge.net/
>> Note the 'Download' heading.
>>  -> Hmm. must be either under Contents or Mirrors.
>> Click on Contents
>>  -> Here I see only filenames, not complete URLs. Gotta make one up.
>> Try http://zsh.sourceforge.net/zsh.tar.bz2
>>  -> Nope. gets an error page
>> Try http://zsh.sourceforge.net/Arc/zsh.tar.bz2
>>  -> Nope. gets an error page
>
>And when you go back and click on Mirrors instead?

I expected to see a list of mirrors of where I am now, in other words, same stuff, different host. That's the custom I'm used to. But apparently by "Mirrors" you mean "Download locations".

Also: none of the US download URLs is currently working from either of hosts I tried (one in Silicon Valley and one in L.A.)

6 212 Z% curl -Ov --progress-bar ftp://ftp.rge.com/pub/shells/zsh/zsh.tar.bz2
* getaddrinfo(3) failed for ftp.rge.com:21
* Couldn't resolve host 'ftp.rge.com'
* Closing connection #0
curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'ftp.rge.com'
6 213 Z% curl -Ov --progress-bar ftp://uiarchive.uiuc.edu/pub/packages/shells/zsh/zsh.tar.bz2
* getaddrinfo(3) failed for uiarchive.uiuc.edu:21
* Couldn't resolve host 'uiarchive.uiuc.edu'
* Closing connection #0
curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'uiarchive.uiuc.edu'
6 214 Z% curl -Ov --progress-bar ftp://archive.progeny.com/zsh/zsh.tar.bz2
* About to connect() to archive.progeny.com port 21 (#0)
*   Trying 69.46.228.180... ^C
130 215 Z% curl -Ov --progress-bar ftp://sunsite.org.uk/packages/zsh/zsh.tar.bz2
* About to connect() to sunsite.org.uk port 21 (#0)
*   Trying 193.195.63.7... Network is unreachable
* couldn't connect to host
* Closing connection #0
curl: (7) couldn't connect to host
7 216 Z%

* Re: trouble downloading
@ 2008-08-30  5:12     ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2008-08-30  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Yost; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Aug 29,  3:50pm, Dave Yost wrote:
} Subject: Re: trouble downloading
}
} Also: none of the US download URLs is currently working from either of hosts I tried (one in Silicon Valley and one in L.A.)

Sourceforge has been sending announcements about some kind of maintenance
where they're moving projects to new servers, etc.  I don't recall if that
was supposed to be happening this weekend or not.

* Re: trouble downloading
@ 2008-08-30  6:27       ` Dave Yost
From: Dave Yost @ 2008-08-30  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

At 10:12 PM -0700 2008-08-29, Bart Schaefer wrote:
>On Aug 29,  3:50pm, Dave Yost wrote:
>} Subject: Re: trouble downloading
>}
>} Also: none of the US download URLs is currently working from either of hosts I tried (one in Silicon Valley and one in L.A.)
>
>Sourceforge has been sending announcements about some kind of maintenance
>where they're moving projects to new servers, etc.  I don't recall if that
>was supposed to be happening this weekend or not.

It's not sourceforge. It's the ftp hosts.

* Re: trouble downloading [zsh]
@ 2008-08-30  9:18         ` Phil Pennock
From: Phil Pennock @ 2008-08-30  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Yost; +Cc: zsh-workers

On 2008-08-29 at 23:27 -0700, Dave Yost wrote:
> It's not sourceforge. It's the ftp hosts.

Confirmed.

ftp.rge.com does not exist in DNS; Domain seems to still be owned by the
same folks (Wayback Archive confirmation), so it's just gone.

foad.org/zsh/ gone.

uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu / uiarchive.uiuc.edu gone.  I can't find a trace
of a new hostname.  Amusingly, I can find uiuc.edu documentation still
referring to the service:
  http://opcenter.cites.uiuc.edu/nas/nash/apps/ftp.html

The FreeBSD Ports system just grabs from the SourceForge mirror list.

On http://www.zsh.org/ I see the Netherlands link is still Demon, my
previous employer.  They were bought and although the FTP site still
"exists" it's not the same one; the HTTP interface is gone and the FTP
content is stale.  So ftp.demon.nl should be removed from the list.

I'm perfectly willing to let my Dutch colo box be another non-SF mirror,
in NL, but since it's a box with toys and user accounts that's
contingent upon future releases being PGP signed, "just in case".  I'd
completely understand if the SF mirrors are considered more than
sufficient.

I'm wondering how feasible it is to get a timestamp file updated in the
zsh master FTP site hourly?  mirmon provides great results for those
projects that use it:
  http://people.cs.uu.nl/henkp/mirmon/
(I say this as an end-user, not a maintainer).  I suspect this is a
question for Geoff (Bcc'd).

-Phil

* Re: trouble downloading [zsh]
@ 2008-08-30  9:46           ` Phil Pennock
From: Phil Pennock @ 2008-08-30  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On 2008-08-30 at 02:18 -0700, Phil Pennock wrote:
> I'm wondering how feasible it is to get a timestamp file updated in the
> zsh master FTP site hourly?  mirmon provides great results for those
> projects that use it:
>   http://people.cs.uu.nl/henkp/mirmon/
> (I say this as an end-user, not a maintainer).  I suspect this is a
> question for Geoff (Bcc'd).

Scratch that; the address last used by Geoff, @zsh.org, earlier this
month to zsh-users@, got an SMTP 553 (5.7.1) error, denied envelope
recipient.

*sigh*

* Zsh web pages (was Re: trouble downloading)
@ 2008-09-01 14:08 ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2008-09-01 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I must admit that I can see that the zsh web pages aren't the clearest
with respect to downloading. I've always thought the Contents link was a
bit pointless and I long ago stopped putting the md5sums into the
content of the page.

dotsrc.org seems a bit slow at the moment and the recent news item that
I added took a while to filter through (though I did manage to rsync it
to sourceforge earlier).

Mirmon looks very nice but where could we host it? I think it would be
better to use that for tracking mirrors and make zsh.org just another
mirror of the main zsh web page content (though it might be the master).

Is there anyone with more web skills than me that could come up with a
new design for the zsh web pages. It'd only need to be something a bit
clearer and more modern and simple enough underneath that adding news
items would be easy. Or do people think we should go another route such
as making zshwiki.org the official site?

Oliver

* Re: Zsh web pages (was Re: trouble downloading)
@ 2008-09-01 15:15   ` Richard Hartmann
From: Richard Hartmann @ 2008-09-01 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Kiddle; +Cc: zsh-workers

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 16:08, Oliver Kiddle <okiddle@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Is there anyone with more web skills than me that could come up with a
> new design for the zsh web pages. It'd only need to be something a bit
> clearer and more modern and simple enough underneath that adding news
> items would be easy. Or do people think we should go another route such
> as making zshwiki.org the official site?

Personally, I dislike the 'wiki as a front-page' trend, but it gives _instant_
results. Another solution would be to take a random CMS, maybe
change the template a bit, and use that.

Static pages are somewhat outdated, compiled pages (think debian.org)
are a bit too much work to set up for a site of this size.

Richard

* Re: Zsh web pages (was Re: trouble downloading)
@ 2008-09-01 16:26     ` Clint Adams
From: Clint Adams @ 2008-09-01 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 05:15:02PM +0200, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> Personally, I dislike the 'wiki as a front-page' trend, but it gives _instant_
> results. Another solution would be to take a random CMS, maybe
> change the template a bit, and use that.
>
> Static pages are somewhat outdated, compiled pages (think debian.org)
> are a bit too much work to set up for a site of this size.

You can have both compiled and wiki with ikiwiki.  I'm not recommending
this; the only thing I use on the website is mla.

* Re: Zsh web pages (was Re: trouble downloading)
@ 2008-09-01 22:36   ` Phil Pennock
From: Phil Pennock @ 2008-09-01 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Kiddle; +Cc: zsh-workers

On 2008-09-01 at 16:08 +0200, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> Mirmon looks very nice but where could we host it? I think it would be
> better to use that for tracking mirrors and make zsh.org just another
> mirror of the main zsh web page content (though it might be the master).

It needs a crontab entry somewhere, to run and poll the mirror list, and
a crontab entry to update the timestamp file on the master FTP site
which the others sync from.

I suspect that if the timestamp file can get generated then the mirmon
results can be; if not, but the timestamp file can be generated, then
anyone should (AIUI) be able to run mirmon, provided they have a list of
mirrors.  I mean, I'm willing to, but I doubt it's necessary -- anyone
wanting to get a feel for the results should be able to run it
themselves.

What have you got, after all, but "update file X regularly" and "check
list of places L for timestamp of mirrored file X and generate a
report"?  Just done rather well in this case (Henk Penning also did some
rather nice web-based PGP lookup stats/interfaces).

-Phil