zsh-workers
* Startup files
@ 1997-05-30 19:10 Bernd Eggink
From: Bernd Eggink @ 1997-05-30 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

The documentation (3.1.0) says that "Commands are first read from
/etc/zshenv". This is not true.

"init.c" shows that each startup file from /etc is read only if the
appropriate #define is set (GLOBAL_ZSHENV, GLOBAL_ZPROFILE etc), but
none is set by default. On the other hand, the INSTALL file (if I got it
right) says that one has to explicitely _disable_ processing of a
scriptfile by adding the option --disable-scriptname to 'configure',
which suggests that GLOBAL_scriptname is set by default.

What is the intention? I'd prefer an implementation of the documented
default behaviour.

Bernd

--
Bernd Eggink
Regionales Rechenzentrum der Universitaet Hamburg

* Re: Startup files
@ 1997-05-31  4:43 ` Geoff Wing
From: Geoff Wing @ 1997-05-31  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

:
:"init.c" shows that each startup file from /etc is read only if the
:appropriate #define is set (GLOBAL_ZSHENV, GLOBAL_ZPROFILE etc), but
:none is set by default. On the other hand, the INSTALL file (if I got it
:right) says that one has to explicitely _disable_ processing of a
:scriptfile by adding the option --disable-scriptname to 'configure',
:which suggests that GLOBAL_scriptname is set by default.

Unless you specify otherwise when you run configure, they're all set by
default in config.h . configure checks for --disable-whatever and
--enable-whatever=pathname  and if it finds neither it will give you defaults.

:What is the intention?

As it is.

:I'd prefer an implementation of the documented default behaviour.

It is.  What exactly leads you to believe they're unset by default?
--
Geoff Wing [mason@primenet.com.au]   Technical Manager
  Phone    : +61-3-9818 2977         PrimeNet - Internet Consultancy

* Re: Startup files
@ 1999-04-20 16:33 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1999-04-20 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

On Apr 16,  9:51am, Peter Stephenson wrote:
} Subject: Startup files
}
} It's probably not too late to alter GLOBAL_RCS_FIRST into something else

Agreed.  (In fact, sort of by definition there's nothing new in 3.1.x
that we can't alter, but in practice I suppose anything pre-3.1.4 is
pretty much locked in.)

} What would be the preferred strategy?  Test NO_RCS before every script
} apart from /etc/zshenv, and skip them if it's set?  Does this meet
} everybody's requirements?

Semantically, that would do it for me.  However, I wonder if it's going
to cause any problems ... I don't imagine anyone sets NO_RCS just to
turn off the logout files, but it's possible.

Maybe the right thing is a new flag that could be set in ~/.zshenv to
disable only the (remaining) global files.  The sysadmin still gets
his shot in /etc/zshenv, and thereafter it's simple for the user to
get back control and keep it.

* Startup files
@ 1999-04-16  7:51 Peter Stephenson
From: Peter Stephenson @ 1999-04-16  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh hackers list

Re: Bart's message which I've lost about NO_RCS and GLOBAL_RCS_FIRST

It's probably not too late to alter GLOBAL_RCS_FIRST into something else
--- it's only useful if it appears in /etc/zshenv and I can't imagine it
has done, yet.

Peter Stephenson <pws@ibmth.df.unipi.it>       Tel: +39 050 844536
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/