zsh-workers
* Re: Z-Shell (zsh) FAQ changes this month
       [not found] <9902250957.AA30563@ibmth.df.unipi.it>
@ 1999-03-09  0:53 ` Phil Pennock
From: Phil Pennock @ 1999-03-09  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zsh Development Workers

Okay, I've caught up on everything and not seen anything on this, so...

Typing away merrily, Peter Stephenson produced the immortal words:
> 3.22: How do I get a variable's value to be evaluated as another variable?
>
>   The problem is that you have a variable $E containing the string
>   `EDITOR', and a variable $EDITOR containing the string `emacs',
>   or something such.  How do you get from $E to emacs in one easy
>   stage?
>
>   There is no standard single-stage way of doing this.  However, there
>   is a zsh idiom (available in all versions of zsh since 5.0) for this:

zsh 5.0 already?  I wasn't busy _that_ long.
--
--> Phil Pennock ; GAT d- s+:+ a23 C++(++++) UL++++/I+++/S+++/B++/H+$ P++@$
L+++ E-@ W(+) N>++ o !K w--- O>+ M V !PS PE Y+ PGP+ t-- 5++ X+ R !tv b++>+++

* Re: Z-Shell (zsh) FAQ changes this month
@ 1999-03-11  1:53   ` Geoff Wing
From: Geoff Wing @ 1999-03-11  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Phil Pennock <comet@fysh.org> typed:
:Okay, I've caught up on everything and not seen anything on this, so...
:Typing away merrily, Peter Stephenson produced the immortal words:
:> 3.22: How do I get a variable's value to be evaluated as another variable?
:>   There is no standard single-stage way of doing this.  However, there
:>   is a zsh idiom (available in all versions of zsh since 5.0) for this:
:zsh 5.0 already?  I wasn't busy _that_ long.

You mean, you missed the big discussion that we're emulating Solaris
versioning :-)
--
Geoff Wing   <gcw@pobox.com>            Mobile : (Australia) 0412 162 441
Work URL: http://www.primenet.com.au/   Ego URL: http://pobox.com/~gcw/