zsh-workers
* no vi editing mode
@ 2000-07-24 18:03 R Joseph Wright
From: R Joseph Wright @ 2000-07-24 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

When I use zsh under X, I can hit ESC and get into vi editing mode.  When I
do this from the console, it does not work.  Is there a variable that needs
to be explicitly set somewhere to make this work?

* Re: no vi editing mode
@ 2000-07-24 21:10 ` Thomas Köhler
From: Thomas Köhler @ 2000-07-24 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 08:04:10PM +0200,
R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@mammalia.org> wrote:

> When I use zsh under X, I can hit ESC and get into vi editing mode.  When I
> do this from the console, it does not work.  Is there a variable that needs
> to be explicitly set somewhere to make this work?

Can't reproduce such behaviour. vi editing mode works from the console
as well as from X. Do you set some options under X that you don't set in
console? Such as setting EDITOR to "vi" in your .xsession or something
similar?
Then again: What's your operating system? Linux? Some BSD variant? And
what version of zsh do you use?

CU,
Thomas, running zsh-3.1.9-dev-3 under Linux

--
 Thomas Köhler Email:   jean-luc@picard.franken.de     | LCARS - Linux
     <><        WWW:     http://jeanluc-picard.de      | for Computers

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 240 bytes --]

* Re: no vi editing mode
@ 2000-07-25  4:51 ` Geoff Wing
From: Geoff Wing @ 2000-07-25  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@mammalia.org> typed:
:When I use zsh under X, I can hit ESC and get into vi editing mode.  When I
:do this from the console, it does not work.  Is there a variable that needs
:to be explicitly set somewhere to make this work?

Are you in ``emacs'' keybindings?  If you always want ``vi'' keybindings,
do you have ``bindkey -v'' in your ~/.zshrc file?
At invocation, zsh examines your VISUAL and EDITOR env. vars. to
modifier default keybindings.  See zshzle(1).

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing : <gcw@pobox.com>     Work URL: http://www.primenet.com.au/
Rxvt Stuff : <gcw@rxvt.org>      Ego URL : http://pobox.com/~gcw/