zsh-workers
* Xterm Control Sequences in PROMPT
@ 2000-12-28 16:19 Teodor Knapik
From: Teodor Knapik @ 2000-12-28 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi,

I am running zsh-3.1.9 under Linux (Mandrake 7.2)
on an i686 and I would like to put a control
sequence for xterm, namely, "ESC ]2; <something> BELL"
in the propmpt, in order to write <something>
to the title bar of the window. Unfortunately,
it makes troubles with the line editor
(I am in emacs mode).

Could you, please, inform me in the case someone
fixes the bug for a future release ?

Best regards,
			Teodor

* Re: Xterm Control Sequences in PROMPT
@ 2000-12-28 17:42 ` Thomas Köhler
From: Thomas Köhler @ 2000-12-28 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers; +Cc: Teodor Knapik

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 08:19:50PM +0400,
Teodor Knapik <knapik@idea.univ.run> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running zsh-3.1.9 under Linux (Mandrake 7.2)
> on an i686 and I would like to put a control
> sequence for xterm, namely, "ESC ]2; <something> BELL"
> in the propmpt, in order to write <something>
> to the title bar of the window. Unfortunately,
> it makes troubles with the line editor
> (I am in emacs mode).
>
> Could you, please, inform me in the case someone
> fixes the bug for a future release ?

Hm, why don't you just set the xterm title from precmd?

precmd() {
   print -n "whatever you want"
}

> Best regards,
> 			Teodor

CU,
Thomas

--
 Thomas Köhler Email:   jean-luc@picard.franken.de     | LCARS - Linux
     <><        WWW:     http://jeanluc-picard.de      | for Computers

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 232 bytes --]

* Re: Xterm Control Sequences in PROMPT
@ 2000-12-29  3:29 ` Geoff Wing
From: Geoff Wing @ 2000-12-29  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Teodor Knapik <knapik@idea.univ.run> typed:
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ really: knapik@univ-reunion.fr

:I am running zsh-3.1.9 under Linux (Mandrake 7.2)
:on an i686 and I would like to put a control
:sequence for xterm, namely, "ESC ]2; <something> BELL"
:in the propmpt, in order to write <something>
:to the title bar of the window. Unfortunately,
:it makes troubles with the line editor
:(I am in emacs mode).

Sequences in the prompt which don't cause cursor movement need to
be enclosed within %{ and %} sequences.  See "PROMPT EXPANSION"
in the manual.  Also, the proper sequence terminator is 0x9c (8bit)
or ``ESC \''  0x1b 0x5c (7bit).  BEL (0x07) is not a standard
terminator.
You may also look at  precmd() or similar as an alternative to using
the prompt.

:Could you, please, inform me in the case someone
:fixes the bug for a future release ?

No, nobody's going to bother replying to invalid email addresses.

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing : <gcw@pobox.com>
Rxvt Stuff : <gcw@rxvt.org>