zsh-workers
* duplicate printexitvalue with mailcheck
@ 2003-10-13  2:35 Dylan Alex Simon
From: Dylan Alex Simon @ 2003-10-13  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

The printexitvalue option shows multiple exit values when MAILPATH/MAILCHECK
is set and new mail is found.

Relevant environment:
zsh 4.0.7 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
MAILPATH='/home/dylan/mail?New mail in `basename $_`'
setopt printexitvalue

dylex:~>echo "foo" >> mail/test
dylex:~>false
zsh: exit 1
New mail in test
zsh: exit 1
dylex:~>

Apologies if this is a known bug, it's just been bugging me for a while.

:-Dylan

* Re: duplicate printexitvalue with mailcheck
@ 2003-10-14 14:59 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2003-10-14 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On Oct 12,  7:35pm, Dylan Alex Simon wrote:
} Subject: duplicate printexitvalue with mailcheck
}
} The printexitvalue option shows multiple exit values when MAILPATH/MAILCHECK
} is set and new mail is found.

I'm not able to reproduce this, but I suspect that it shows multiple exit
values when the mail check contains a call to an external command:

} MAILPATH='/home/dylan/mail?New mail in `basename $_`'
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you change that to

    MAILPATH='/home/dylan/mail?New mail in $_:t'

what happens?

(Might need ${_:t} if you're using some ksh emulation options.)

If that doesn't change anything, you'll need to tell us more about your
environment, such as whether you have a precmd and what it does, whether
you have any TRAPxxx functions defined, etc.

* Re: duplicate printexitvalue with mailcheck
@ 2003-10-15  6:31   ` Geoff Wing
From: Geoff Wing @ 2003-10-15  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Bart Schaefer <schaefer@brasslantern.com> typed:
: On Oct 12,  7:35pm, Dylan Alex Simon wrote:
:} The printexitvalue option shows multiple exit values when MAILPATH/MAILCHECK
:} is set and new mail is found.
: I'm not able to reproduce this, but I suspect that it shows multiple exit
: values when the mail check contains a call to an external command:

Yes, that's how I'm able to reproduce it - however, when no command is
made (e.g. by pressing return) and the MAILPATH file is modified then
only the mail message is produced, not the extra exit info, so it seems
to me there's a slight inconsistency there.

Regards,
Geoff