zsh-workers
* Re: Bang Executing Perl Scripts
       [not found]   ` <1246B8BF-933E-4143-9B06-62197CE64B94__21660.9615985819$1295907908$gmane$org@free.fr>
@ 2011-01-25 11:42     ` Klaus Ethgen
From: Klaus Ethgen @ 2011-01-25 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Moin,

François Revol <revol@free.fr> schrieb:
>> Why not putting #!/usr/bin/perl as the first line of your perl scripts?
>
> This is not portable.

Portable enough today. But if you want to support minor OSs like BeOS or
windows ...

> BeOS and Haiku do not have /usr for ex, so perl is elsewhere.
> (and so is env, so using #!/usr/bin/env perl is just moving the problem around)

... look at »perldoc perlrun«:
 #!/bin/sh
 #! -*-perl-*-
 eval 'exec perl -x -wS $0 ${1+"$@"}'
   if 0;

There is a pretty good change that /bin/sh is available on relevant
systems. But also for this solution, you cannot support all exotic
systems.

-- Klaus
--
Klaus Ethgen                            http://www.ethgen.ch/
pub  2048R/D1A4EDE5 2000-02-26 Klaus Ethgen <Klaus@Ethgen.de>

* Re: Bang Executing Perl Scripts
@ 2011-01-25 14:42       ` François Revol
From: François Revol @ 2011-01-25 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Le 25 janv. 2011 à 12:42, Klaus Ethgen a écrit :

> Moin,
>
> François Revol <revol@free.fr> schrieb:
>>> Why not putting #!/usr/bin/perl as the first line of your perl scripts?
>>
>> This is not portable.
>
> Portable enough today. But if you want to support minor OSs like BeOS or
> windows ...

I wouldn't call BeOS "minor". It might have had a limited diffusion, but it did introduce to the desktop OSes many concepts people now claim that they invented, like tickless, node monitoring...
"BeOS did it 15y ago"

At least you didn't mention Haiku in the list :)

As for Windows, its audience is certainly not minor, despite not having the favors of real hackers (except as a target for study). :)

>> BeOS and Haiku do not have /usr for ex, so perl is elsewhere.
>> (and so is env, so using #!/usr/bin/env perl is just moving the problem around)
>
> ... look at »perldoc perlrun«:
> #!/bin/sh
> #! -*-perl-*-
> eval 'exec perl -x -wS $0 ${1+"$@"}'
>   if 0;
>
> There is a pretty good change that /bin/sh is available on relevant
> systems. But also for this solution, you cannot support all exotic
> systems.

Indeed, this would probably work in BeOS in Haiku. But I agree it looks overkill.

François.

* Re: Bang Executing Perl Scripts
@ 2011-01-25 18:55         ` Phil Pennock
From: Phil Pennock @ 2011-01-25 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

On 2011-01-25 at 15:42 +0100, François Revol wrote:
> I wouldn't call BeOS "minor". It might have had a limited diffusion, but it did introduce to the desktop OSes many concepts people now claim that they invented, like tickless, node monitoring...
> "BeOS did it 15y ago"

*cough*  AmigaOS did it 24 years ago.

-Phil

* [OT] Re: Bang Executing Perl Scripts
@ 2011-01-25 19:38           ` François Revol
From: François Revol @ 2011-01-25 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Pennock; +Cc: zsh-workers

Le 25 janv. 2011 à 19:55, Phil Pennock a écrit :

>> I wouldn't call BeOS "minor". It might have had a limited diffusion, but it did introduce to the desktop OSes many concepts people now claim that they invented, like tickless, node monitoring...
>> "BeOS did it 15y ago"
>
> *cough*  AmigaOS did it 24 years ago.

Which did it do ?

At least I don't recall seeing live queries in AmigaOS :p

Anyway yeah, AmigaOS rox as well, and we celebrate it every 2 years at Alchimie
along with many other platforms http://triplea.fr/alchimie/ ;-)

Tried AROS recently ? Anyone ported zsh to it ?

François.

* Re: Bang Executing Perl Scripts
@ 2011-01-26 13:11         ` Klaus Ethgen
From: Klaus Ethgen @ 2011-01-26 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Hi,

François Revol <revol@free.fr> schrieb:
>>> This is not portable.
>> Portable enough today. But if you want to support minor OSs like BeOS
>> or windows ...
>
> I wouldn't call BeOS "minor".

Well, you cannot call it major. ;-)

> It might have had a limited diffusion, but it did introduce to the
> desktop OSes many concepts people now claim that they invented, like
> tickless, node monitoring... "BeOS did it 15y ago"

That might be true. But it is not altering the truth that nowadays not
so many people are using BeOS. (Not to say any about quality.)

> At least you didn't mention Haiku in the list :)

Well, I do not know Haiku and never heard about. And I do not tell any
about thinks I do not know. (normally ;-)

> As for Windows, its audience is certainly not minor, despite not
> having the favors of real hackers (except as a target for study). :)

There is two facts that make it minor:
1. The wish that this gaming OS is minor ;-)
2. The fact that people using zsh normally seldom use windows.

-- Klaus