zsh-workers
* Case-insensitive globbing?
@ 2000-12-13 14:51 Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 2000-12-13 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Under Solaris, when you choose any locale that is not "C", even some
as innocent-looking as "en_US", globbing works with locale-specific
data.  While this looks like a nice idea at a glance, it leads to very
strange behavior:

$ touch foo bar qux IMPORTANT
$ ls [a-z]*
bar   foo   qux
$ LC_ALL=en_US zsh
$ ls [a-z]*
bar         foo         IMPORTANT   qux

I don't know about you, but I would expect `rm [a-z]*' to leave the
file IMPORTANT in place.  With zsh under Solaris and en_US locale, it
would get deleted.

Could you please make the ranges in [...] range through ASCII, as the
users would expect?  The users who want case-insensitiveness as
enforced by the locale can always use [[:alpha:]] and whatnot.

Please Cc responses to me, as I am not subscribed to this list.
Thanks.

* Re: Case-insensitive globbing?
@ 2000-12-13 15:26 ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 2000-12-13 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hrvoje Niksic, zsh-workers

On Dec 13,  3:51pm, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
} Subject: Case-insensitive globbing?
}
} Under Solaris, when you choose any locale that is not "C", even some
} as innocent-looking as "en_US", globbing works with locale-specific
} data.

In what version of zsh do you see this?  This was changed for 3.1.7, and
the corresponding patch was incorporated into 3.0.8, so if you have a
recent version you should not be seeing this effect.

* Re: Case-insensitive globbing?
@ 2000-12-13 15:32   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 2000-12-13 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: zsh-workers

"Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@candle.brasslantern.com> writes:

> On Dec 13,  3:51pm, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
> } Subject: Case-insensitive globbing?
> }
> } Under Solaris, when you choose any locale that is not "C", even some
> } as innocent-looking as "en_US", globbing works with locale-specific
> } data.
>
> In what version of zsh do you see this?

Sorry, I forgot to mention: it's 3.0.5.  (At least that was the
version that was available on the Solaris system where I tested it.)

> This was changed for 3.1.7, and the corresponding patch was
> incorporated into 3.0.8, so if you have a recent version you should
> not be seeing this effect.

Excellent!  Sorry for the false alarm.