zsh-workers
* ORBS and sunsite.auc.dk
@ 1999-02-01  3:06 Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 1999-02-01  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

I've found that sunsite.auc.dk blocks all the e-mail I send to
zsh-workers@sunsite.auk.dk.  It appears that the ORBS spam blocking
database has flagged my ISP as being a bad citizen.  Upon bringing the
issue up with my ISP, the issue from their point of view can be summed
up like this:

1) Yes, my ISP has a limmited form of SPAM vulnerability.

2) No, the vulnerability isn't actually being used by spammers.

3) No, they won't fix it, since a lot of customers depend on being
   able to use my ISP's SMTP server as a smart host while traveling.

4) The general perception is that the ORBS SPAM blocking thing is too
   pedantic.

Anyway, I'm glad that zsh-workers@math.gatech.edu is still around.
Otherwise, I couldn't send mail to the lists!

* Re: ORBS and sunsite.auc.dk
@ 1999-02-01  3:37 ` Richard Coleman
From: Richard Coleman @ 1999-02-01  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Armstrong; +Cc: zsh-workers

> Anyway, I'm glad that zsh-workers@math.gatech.edu is still around.
> Otherwise, I couldn't send mail to the lists!

But don't rely on that too long.  Since I no longer work at Georgia
Tech, the zsh lists there will eventually disappear.

--
Richard Coleman
coleman@math.gatech.edu

* Re: ORBS and sunsite.auc.dk
@ 1999-02-01  3:48   ` Bart Schaefer
From: Bart Schaefer @ 1999-02-01  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Coleman, Matt Armstrong, zsh-workers

On Jan 31, 10:37pm, Richard Coleman wrote:
} Subject: Re: ORBS and sunsite.auc.dk
}
} > Anyway, I'm glad that zsh-workers@math.gatech.edu is still around.
} > Otherwise, I couldn't send mail to the lists!
}
} But don't rely on that too long.

According to http://www.dorkslayers.com/, quote:

    The Dorkslayers.com/ORBS web site and service has been terminated.

    A new project is under way to provide a service to replace ORBS.
    Announcements will be made in appropriate places when this service
    is available. Thank you for your patience.

* Re: ORBS and sunsite.auc.dk
@ 1999-02-01  5:47     ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 1999-02-01  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Schaefer; +Cc: Richard Coleman, Matt Armstrong, zsh-workers

"Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@brasslantern.com> writes:

> On Jan 31, 10:37pm, Richard Coleman wrote:
> } Subject: Re: ORBS and sunsite.auc.dk
> }
> } > Anyway, I'm glad that zsh-workers@math.gatech.edu is still around.
> } > Otherwise, I couldn't send mail to the lists!
> }
> } But don't rely on that too long.

I'll have to do what others at my ISP are doing -- get a hotmail
account to send mail from.  :(

> According to http://www.dorkslayers.com/, quote:
>
>     The Dorkslayers.com/ORBS web site and service has been terminated.
>
>     A new project is under way to provide a service to replace ORBS.
>     Announcements will be made in appropriate places when this service
>     is available. Thank you for your patience.

http://www.orbs.org looks like it is alive and well.

* Re: ORBS and sunsite.auc.dk
@ 1999-02-01  8:10       ` Karsten Thygesen
From: Karsten Thygesen @ 1999-02-01  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Armstrong; +Cc: Bart Schaefer, Richard Coleman, zsh-workers

Matt> I'll have to do what others at my ISP are doing -- get a hotmail
Matt> account to send mail from.  :(

Or either change ISP or put more pressure on them. There is a
technical solution to everything - there is newer a reason to have
open relays. Bad excuse.

Matt> http://www.orbs.org looks like it is alive and well.

Very alive indeed and used by an ever growing number of sites around
the world, which will put even greater pressure on the ISPs.

Karsten