* [9front] panic on hjfs fshalt
@ 2023-12-29  2:35 eso
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: eso @ 2023-12-29  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Thinkpad x230, behavior began after a sysupdate. I can't say the exact
date it was updating from, but some time during the "Golden Age of
Ballooning" period. Now every time I use fshalt I get a panic. The disk
is an mSATA SSD running hjfs.

Below is my sysinfo, attached is a picture of the error output on
screen.
http://okturing.com/src/18019/body

[-- Attachment #2: IMG_3362.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 1550571 bytes --]

* Re: [9front] panic on hjfs fshalt
@ 2023-12-29  3:26 ` Thaddeus Woskowiak
From: Thaddeus Woskowiak @ 2023-12-29  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 9:37 PM <eso@self.rodeo> wrote:

> Thinkpad x230, behavior began after a sysupdate. I can't say the exact
> date it was updating from, but some time during the "Golden Age of
> Ballooning" period. Now every time I use fshalt I get a panic. The disk
> is an mSATA SSD running hjfs.
>
> Below is my sysinfo, attached is a picture of the error output on
> screen.
> http://okturing.com/src/18019/body

It might be relevant as I too got a similar panic today on fshalt on a
tcp booted industrial PC, an Advantech UNO-2271G-E23BE. Pretty sure I
did a sysupdate on 2023-12-18 including kernel. Unfortunately I have
yet to post the sysinfo and on vacation until the 3rd. However I do
have a screenshit with bonus christmas lights.

-taw

* Re: [9front] panic on hjfs fshalt
@ 2023-12-29  3:39 ` Thaddeus Woskowiak
From: Thaddeus Woskowiak @ 2023-12-29  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

The attachment fell off...

On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 9:37 PM <eso@self.rodeo> wrote:

> Thinkpad x230, behavior began after a sysupdate. I can't say the exact
> date it was updating from, but some time during the "Golden Age of
> Ballooning" period. Now every time I use fshalt I get a panic. The disk
> is an mSATA SSD running hjfs.
>
> Below is my sysinfo, attached is a picture of the error output on
> screen.
> http://okturing.com/src/18019/body

[-- Attachment #2: 20231227_155534.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 1549830 bytes --]

* Re: [9front] panic on hjfs fshalt
@ 2023-12-29  4:11   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2023-12-29  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

it very much sounds like the issue that has been
fixed before the last release in the kernel.

9e8a7578f063f4caa5ceae9b997ff72a88dbaa58 devsd: Fix memory leaks, wstst check, cleanup
Date: Sat Jun  3 18:58:13 CES 2023
Author: cinap_lenrek <cinap_lenrek@felloff.net>
Message: devsd: Fix memory leaks, wstst check, cleanup

0d34984734c0feceaab774d401a09e9333f81991 sdiahci, sdodin, sdide, devsd: get it right...
Date: Sat May 27 00:08:53 CES 2023
Author: cinap_lenrek <cinap_lenrek@felloff.net>
Message: sdiahci, sdodin, sdide, devsd: get it right...

the bug is triggered by the following code in fshalt:

	# turn off disk drives
	for(i in $s)
		echo config spec $i switch off >>'#S/sdctl'

i highly suspect you'r *NOT* running the new kernel.
note that mk install is not enougth. you need to
copy it to 9fat for your bootloader to find it
if you boot off a disk.

otherwise, comment it out in fshalt to avoid the crash.

--
cinap

* Re: [9front] panic on hjfs fshalt
@ 2023-12-29  4:41     ` Thaddeus Woskowiak
From: Thaddeus Woskowiak @ 2023-12-29  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 11:13 PM <cinap_lenrek@felloff.net> wrote:
> i highly suspect you'r *NOT* running the new kernel.
> --
> cinap

Correct. My complaint is noise. I USB booted and pulled root from the
file server and forgot the kernel on the stick is old. Mistake noted.

* Re: [9front] panic on hjfs fshalt
@ 2023-12-29  5:22 ` ori
From: ori @ 2023-12-29  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth eso@self.rodeo:

> Thinkpad x230, behavior began after a sysupdate. I can't say the exact
> date it was updating from, but some time during the "Golden Age of
> Ballooning" period. Now every time I use fshalt I get a panic. The disk
> is an mSATA SSD running hjfs.

make sure you remember to update your kernel in 9fat.

https://fqa.9front.org/fqa7.html#7.2.5

* Re: [9front] panic on hjfs fshalt
@ 2023-12-29  6:38     ` eso
From: eso @ 2023-12-29  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

quoth cinap:
> i highly suspect you'r *NOT* running the new kernel.
> note that mk install is not enougth. you need to
> copy it to 9fat for your bootloader to find it
> if you boot off a disk.

quoth ori:
> make sure you remember to update your kernel in 9fat.

You're right that I did forget to do that on this system. However when
compiling I got an error
http://okturing.com/src/18027/body

> otherwise, comment it out in fshalt to avoid the crash.

Thanks, will do

* Re: [9front] panic on hjfs fshalt
@ 2023-12-29  6:54       ` Jacob Moody
From: Jacob Moody @ 2023-12-29  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 12/29/23 00:38, eso@self.rodeo wrote:
> quoth cinap:
>> i highly suspect you'r *NOT* running the new kernel.
>> note that mk install is not enougth. you need to
>> copy it to 9fat for your bootloader to find it
>> if you boot off a disk.
>
> quoth ori:
>> make sure you remember to update your kernel in 9fat.
>
> You're right that I did forget to do that on this system. However when
> compiling I got an error
> http://okturing.com/src/18027/body
>
>> otherwise, comment it out in fshalt to avoid the crash.
>
> Thanks, will do

This happens sometimes when libraries are updated. You'll need to

; mk nuke

them away and replace them. You can do it bit by bit but I usually
just do them all. This is the muscle memory I have for doing these big updates:

cd /sys/src/
mk nuke
mk libs
mk install
mk clean
cd /sys/src/9/pc64
mk install
mk clean
9fs 9fat
cp /amd64/9pc64 /n/9/
unmount /n/9
unmount /n/9fat
rm /srv/dos
fshalt -r

Adjust to taste.

Hope this helps,
moody

* Re: [9front] panic on hjfs fshalt
@ 2023-12-29 21:38         ` eso
From: eso @ 2023-12-29 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> mk nuke
> mk libs

thanks, that's what i was forgetting.  still getting used to the
consequences of "programs should do one thing well".  most operating
systems recompile for you, not to say plan 9 should, but to say that
plan 9 expects you to make those decisions yourself.

sorry for the borked attachment btw