* [9front] Musings on web browsers and office applications
@ 2024-04-01  2:13 Willow Liquorice
From: Willow Liquorice @ 2024-04-01  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi,

I've had Plan 9 on the brain for the past few months, and I read a pdffs
in the recent conference proceedings, and I was wondering whether the
principles in that paper could be applied to create a file server for
something that uses the Document Object Model.

You could then use the resulting directory tree in the core of a web
browser (HTML) or office application (OpenDocument / Office Open XML).

Just off the top of my head, maybe an example HTML document could be
represented like this?

html/
   !attrs/
     lang
       "en"
   01 head/
     01 title/
       01 text
	"Test Page"
   02 body/
     01 p/
       !attrs/
	class
	  "dumb-stuff"
       01 text
	"according to all known laws of aviation"
       02 comment
	"why are you doing this"
       03 em/
	01 text
	  "there is no way that a bee should be able to fly"
       04 comment
	"please stop"

Consider "text in quotes" to be the contents of the files they appear
under.

I think the scheme above would work to identify attributes: the
directory name would simply be an invalid tag name.

What do you think? I don't know that much about 9P, so maybe there's a
better way of expressing the order of elements in a directory tree than
literally numbering the files and folders.

	- Willow