* [9front] Equivalent of Unix uname
@ 2024-03-09 17:31 rockyhotas
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: rockyhotas @ 2024-03-09 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello!
I'm trying to move the first steps into Plan9.
It is not Unix, the user is often warned about this. However, some tools
are available in both systems with almost the same usage, like uptime(1)
for example. Is there anything equivalent to `uname'? I couldn't find
such a tool nor in

  <https://fqa.9front.org/fqa8.html>

neither in

  <https://wiki.9front.org/unix2plan9>

If there is not a perfect equivalent tool, is it anyway possible to list
some basic information about the current system? For example the OS
name,
the kernel version, the architecture, the hostname.

Bye!

Rocky

* Re: [9front] Equivalent of Unix uname
@ 2024-03-09 17:42 ` B. Atticus Grobe
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: B. Atticus Grobe @ 2024-03-09 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 3/9/24 11:31, rockyhotas@firemail.cc wrote:
> Hello!
> I'm trying to move the first steps into Plan9.
> It is not Unix, the user is often warned about this. However, some tools
> are available in both systems with almost the same usage, like uptime(1)
> for example. Is there anything equivalent to `uname'? I couldn't find
> such a tool nor in
>
>   <https://fqa.9front.org/fqa8.html>
>
> neither in
>
>   <https://wiki.9front.org/unix2plan9>
>
> If there is not a perfect equivalent tool, is it anyway possible to list
> some basic information about the current system? For example the OS name,
> the kernel version, the architecture, the hostname.
>
> Bye!
>
> Rocky

kernels aren't versioned. the os name isn't reported; you're expected to
know you're on a plan 9 system. `echo $sysname' will tell you the system
name. `echo $cputype' will tell you the arch.

9 doesn't need a uname command. $sysname matters depending on context,
but $cputype really doesn't; the 9 compilers are natively cross-arch.

* Re: [9front] Equivalent of Unix uname
@ 2024-03-09 17:42 ` Jacob Moody
From: Jacob Moody @ 2024-03-09 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 3/9/24 11:31, rockyhotas@firemail.cc wrote:
> Hello!
> I'm trying to move the first steps into Plan9.
> It is not Unix, the user is often warned about this. However, some tools
> are available in both systems with almost the same usage, like uptime(1)
> for example. Is there anything equivalent to `uname'? I couldn't find
> such a tool nor in
>
>   <https://fqa.9front.org/fqa8.html>
>
> neither in
>
>   <https://wiki.9front.org/unix2plan9>
>
> If there is not a perfect equivalent tool, is it anyway possible to list
> some basic information about the current system? For example the OS
> name,
> the kernel version, the architecture, the hostname.
>
> Bye!
>
> Rocky

There is /dev/osversion but its not really particularly insightful.
Uname is generally used to differentiate different Unixen from
each other, so I don't see why it would be particularly useful
on Plan 9.

We also do not generally have version of the kernel per se,
at least not in the same way something like Linux does.
For architecture there is $cputype and for host name there
is $sysname.

Hope that helps,
moody

* Re: [9front] Equivalent of Unix uname
@ 2024-03-09 18:07   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2024-03-09 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

plan9 is distributed with binaries, but installations are kept
up-to-date via source updates from git, so in practice, before you run
sysupdate and mk install yourself you may check the current git
revision.

also keep in mind that in the canonical deployments you will have only
one central fileserver for all your cpu servers and terminals, so if
you know the version of one of your computers you should automatically
be able to imply the version of all other computers.

@ 2024-03-09 18:07   ` Lucas Francesco
From: Lucas Francesco @ 2024-03-09 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

fwiw if you do need for sh shell scripts, ape/psh does mount an `uname
` command into your PATH, AFAIK there's no need for a uname command
elsewhere since we dont have a (updated) ssh server for you to connect
remotely and maybe get confused on where are you running things, and
even if we had, you can notice it due to lacking tty
emulation/interaction

@ 2024-03-09 19:32 ` Jon Sharp
From: Jon Sharp @ 2024-03-09 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sat, 9 Mar 2024, rockyhotas@firemail.cc wrote:

> If there is not a perfect equivalent tool, is it anyway possible to list
> some basic information about the current system? For example the OS name,
> the kernel version, the architecture, the hostname.

/rc/bin/sysinfo is also handy.

Peace,
Jon

--
jrsharp@sdf.lonestar.org

* Re: Re: [9front] Equivalent of Unix uname
@ 2024-03-10 16:28   ` Rocky Hotas
From: Rocky Hotas @ 2024-03-10 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On mar 09 11:42, Jacob Moody wrote:

> There is /dev/osversion but its not really particularly insightful.
> Uname is generally used to differentiate different Unixen from
> each other, so I don't see why it would be particularly useful
> on Plan 9.
>
> We also do not generally have version of the kernel per se,
> at least not in the same way something like Linux does.

Yes, in fact I thought kernel versions and OS type were handled
similarly to Linux or other Unix-like system, but that's not the case
for Plan9.

Thanks to you and to all those who added their suggestions.
You have been very helpful!

Rocky

* Re: [9front] Equivalent of Unix uname
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-03-10 21:03 ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2024-03-10 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

hey, well... ape/uname  :)

@ 2024-03-10 21:07   ` Jacob Moody
From: Jacob Moody @ 2024-03-10 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 3/10/24 16:03, Eli Cohen wrote:
> hey, well... ape/uname  :)

ape/uname is pretty useless for the purpose
of what they were asking for. It just reads out
the various environment variables that were already
discussed.

- moody