* [9front] Some trash in the src tree
@ 2024-02-11 18:47 an2qzavok
From: an2qzavok @ 2024-02-11 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I've been grepping the source for some reason and found /sys/src/cmd/tcs/font
Not only files there appear to never be referenced in tcs itself, it even
contains a pre-compiled mips binary 'merge'.
Also, font/ code won't even complie due to missing 'libg.h' header.

I am a bit reluctant about sending plain removal patch though, what if it has
some significant historical value? It looks like some font manipulating/
converting programs.

* Re: [9front] Some trash in the src tree
@ 2024-02-11 22:12 ` ori
From: ori @ 2024-02-11 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Removing it from the source tree doesn't remove it from the git history :)

The main problem is that if there's a precompiled binary, I don't know
how diff/patch will deal with it as things stand.

Quoth an2qzavok@gmail.com:

@ 2024-02-12  0:11   ` qwx
From: qwx @ 2024-02-12  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sun Feb 11 23:13:09 +0100 2024, ori@eigenstate.org wrote:
> Removing it from the source tree doesn't remove it from the git history :)
>
> The main problem is that if there's a precompiled binary, I don't know
> how diff/patch will deal with it as things stand.
>
> Quoth an2qzavok@gmail.com:
> > I've been grepping the source for some reason and found /sys/src/cmd/tcs/font
> > Not only files there appear to never be referenced in tcs itself, it even
> > contains a pre-compiled mips binary 'merge'.
> > Also, font/ code won't even complie due to missing 'libg.h' header.
> >
> > I am a bit reluctant about sending plain removal patch though, what if it has
> > some significant historical value? It looks like some font manipulating/
> > converting programs.

Seems like the font/ subdirectory is old and afaik undocumented 2e
code that hasn't been touched since that release as libg.h is already
missing in 3e.  From a quick glance, these might have been used to
generate some of the fonts in /lib/font.  Unless there's some utility
in porting this code, I suggest we just remove the directory.

Cheers,
qwx