From: Aidan K. Wiggins <akw@oneiri.one>
To: staal1978@gmail.com, 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] question about nusb/ether
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 11:26:02 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi Jens,

It's possible the card you are using is not supported; the supported
cards are listed in nusb(4).  Which device are you trying to
initialize?  You can check which card you have by investigating the
output of the usbtree command.  In the case it says it is supported,
we can troubleshoot.  Nevertheless, usage of nusb/ether looks
something like this:

	nusb/ether -t ethertype devid

where 'devid' can be drawn from the output of your usbtree as the N
value in 'epN.M' (more info in usb(3)).  'ethertype' is one of those
listed in the man page.  Generally, this should be ran by nusbrc(8)
when the device is attached..

To actually get this registered and running with your network
(assuming nusb/ether succeeds in creating some /net/etherU* device for
you), you need to run ip/ipconfig on the specified device:

	ip/ipconfig ether [your /net/etherU*]

Hope this helps,
Aidan

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3511 bytes --]

From: Jens Staal <staal1978@gmail.com>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: [9front] question about nusb/ether
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 08:59:06 +0100

Hi

I have an issue with ethernet over usb. I am not sure if it is because
of an unsupported adapter of because I do not understand how to activate
it.

I did not get any wiser from the nusb man page unfortunately.

Are there any "for dummies" usgage examples for nusb/ether? How do I
know what "device" I should give as a command argument etc?

Thanks,
Jens