* [9front] Info sources
@ 2024-04-29  5:58 certanan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: certanan @ 2024-04-29  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi,

what are the *canonical* sources to learn how to use Plan9 from?

There are, of course, internet articles and the FQA which are all terrific, but what would be the way to study Plan9 back when it was taking off? Anything other than manpages?

tom

* Re: [9front] Info sources
@ 2024-04-29  6:05 ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2024-04-29  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I finally really learned on IRC when someone said to me "Plan 9 is
basically just a 9P multiplexer"

On Sun, Apr 28, 2024, 10:58 PM certanan <certanan@proton.me> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> what are the *canonical* sources to learn how to use Plan9 from?
>
> There are, of course, internet articles and the FQA which are all
> terrific, but what would be the way to study Plan9 back when it was taking
> off? Anything other than manpages?
>

> tom

* Re: [9front] Info sources
@ 2024-04-29  7:20 ` adventures in9
From: adventures in9 @ 2024-04-29  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Look in /sys/doc for all the papers from the Labs people about various
parts of the system and why they did things that way.

Introduction to Operating Systems Abstractions by Francisco
Ballesteros does a pretty good job explaining things while going
through some programming examples.
http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/9.intro.pdf

On Sun, Apr 28, 2024 at 10:59 PM certanan <certanan@proton.me> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> what are the *canonical* sources to learn how to use Plan9 from?
>
> There are, of course, internet articles and the FQA which are all terrific, but what would be the way to study Plan9 back when it was taking off? Anything other than manpages?
>

> tom

* Re: [9front] Info sources
@ 2024-04-29 15:22   ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2024-04-29 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On April 29, 2024 2:05:46 AM EDT, Eli Cohen <echoline@gmail.com> wrote:
>I finally really learned on IRC when someone said to me "Plan 9 is
>basically just a 9P multiplexer"
>
>On Sun, Apr 28, 2024, 10:58 PM certanan <certanan@proton.me> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> what are the *canonical* sources to learn how to use Plan9 from?
>>
>> There are, of course, internet articles and the FQA which are all
>> terrific, but what would be the way to study Plan9 back when it was taking
>> off? Anything other than manpages?
>>

>> tom

take a look in /sys/doc

http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/

sl

* Re: [9front] Info sources
@ 2024-04-29 17:58     ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2024-04-29 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

also Nemo's book

On Mon, Apr 29, 2024 at 8:22 AM Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com> wrote:

> On April 29, 2024 2:05:46 AM EDT, Eli Cohen <echoline@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I finally really learned on IRC when someone said to me "Plan 9 is
> >basically just a 9P multiplexer"
> >
> >On Sun, Apr 28, 2024, 10:58 PM certanan <certanan@proton.me> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> what are the *canonical* sources to learn how to use Plan9 from?
> >>
> >> There are, of course, internet articles and the FQA which are all
> >> terrific, but what would be the way to study Plan9 back when it was taking
> >> off? Anything other than manpages?
> >>

> >> tom
> >>

> take a look in /sys/doc
>
> http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/
>
> sl

* Re: [9front] Info sources
@ 2024-04-29 21:04 ` Stuart Morrow
From: Stuart Morrow @ 2024-04-29 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> but what would be the way to study Plan9 back when it was taking off?

There's the German book, and also 9fans is actually about as old as
Plan 9 itself.

There's /sys/src.

* Re: [9front] Info sources
@ 2024-04-29 21:21   ` Mr Neuralwright