* [9front] figuring out what to add in vgadb?
@ 2024-04-05 11:42 Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2024-04-05 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi all,

I am pretty happy with 9front on a cheap refurbished laptop, especially
now that ethernet over usb has been solved and I have built the latest
netsurf on it.

One little annoyance still is that I run at crappy resolution and can
not set it with aux/vga (and setting vgasize in plan9.ini did nothing)
Sysinfo can be seen here:
http://sysinfo.9front.org/src/542/body

Is there a similar trick to how usbtree could figure out what to do to
get nusb/ether to work but for graphics?

this entry from pci -v probably relevant but is there a way to translate
that to a vgadb entry?

0.2.0:	vid  03.00.00 8086/3185 255 0:a0000004 16777216 2:9000000c 268435456 4:0000f001 64
	Intel Corporation GeminiLake [UHD Graphics 600]

* Re: [9front] figuring out what to add in vgadb?
@ 2024-04-05 21:58 ` qwx
From: qwx @ 2024-04-05 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri Apr  5 13:38:17 +0200 2024, staal1978@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am pretty happy with 9front on a cheap refurbished laptop, especially
> now that ethernet over usb has been solved and I have built the latest
> netsurf on it.
>
> One little annoyance still is that I run at crappy resolution and can
> not set it with aux/vga (and setting vgasize in plan9.ini did nothing)
> Sysinfo can be seen here:
> http://sysinfo.9front.org/src/542/body
>
> Is there a similar trick to how usbtree could figure out what to do to
> get nusb/ether to work but for graphics?
>
> this entry from pci -v probably relevant but is there a way to translate
> that to a vgadb entry?
>
> 0.2.0:	vid  03.00.00 8086/3185 255 0:a0000004 16777216 2:9000000c 268435456 4:0000f001 64
> 	Intel Corporation GeminiLake [UHD Graphics 600]

Your card is a gemini lake gen igfx, which we unfortunately don't yet
support; our latest gen is broadwell, with work underway for skylake.
For now, vesa or the uefi framebuffer you're handed are the best you
could get.  An external monitor may work with vesa as well (see vga(8)
for example usage), but it's somewhat unlikely.

Hope that helps,
qwx

* Re: [9front] figuring out what to add in vgadb?
@ 2024-04-06  4:02   ` Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2024-04-06  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri, Apr 05, 2024 at 11:58:36PM +0200, qwx@sciops.net wrote:
> On Fri Apr  5 13:38:17 +0200 2024, staal1978@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am pretty happy with 9front on a cheap refurbished laptop, especially
> > now that ethernet over usb has been solved and I have built the latest
> > netsurf on it.
> >
> > One little annoyance still is that I run at crappy resolution and can
> > not set it with aux/vga (and setting vgasize in plan9.ini did nothing)
> > Sysinfo can be seen here:
> > http://sysinfo.9front.org/src/542/body
> >
> > Is there a similar trick to how usbtree could figure out what to do to
> > get nusb/ether to work but for graphics?
> >
> > this entry from pci -v probably relevant but is there a way to translate
> > that to a vgadb entry?
> >
> > 0.2.0:	vid  03.00.00 8086/3185 255 0:a0000004 16777216 2:9000000c 268435456 4:0000f001 64
> > 	Intel Corporation GeminiLake [UHD Graphics 600]
>
> Your card is a gemini lake gen igfx, which we unfortunately don't yet
> support; our latest gen is broadwell, with work underway for skylake.
> For now, vesa or the uefi framebuffer you're handed are the best you
> could get.  An external monitor may work with vesa as well (see vga(8)
> for example usage), but it's somewhat unlikely.

Thanks. Good to know that it is a driver issue and not "just" a
recognition issue (like nusb/ether). I will check if I can enhance it by
the UEFI framebuffer.

The resolution will be less of an issue when I got Sigrid's
riow/bar/theming set up. Especially having multiple work spaces will
definitely help.

@ 2024-04-06  5:26     ` Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2024-04-06  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sat, Apr 06, 2024 at 06:02:28AM +0200, Jens Staal wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 05, 2024 at 11:58:36PM +0200, qwx@sciops.net wrote:
> > On Fri Apr  5 13:38:17 +0200 2024, staal1978@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I am pretty happy with 9front on a cheap refurbished laptop, especially
> > > now that ethernet over usb has been solved and I have built the latest
> > > netsurf on it.
> > >
> > > One little annoyance still is that I run at crappy resolution and can
> > > not set it with aux/vga (and setting vgasize in plan9.ini did nothing)
> > > Sysinfo can be seen here:
> > > http://sysinfo.9front.org/src/542/body
> > >
> > > Is there a similar trick to how usbtree could figure out what to do to
> > > get nusb/ether to work but for graphics?
> > >
> > > this entry from pci -v probably relevant but is there a way to translate
> > > that to a vgadb entry?
> > >
> > > 0.2.0:	vid  03.00.00 8086/3185 255 0:a0000004 16777216 2:9000000c 268435456 4:0000f001 64
> > > 	Intel Corporation GeminiLake [UHD Graphics 600]
> >
> > Your card is a gemini lake gen igfx, which we unfortunately don't yet
> > support; our latest gen is broadwell, with work underway for skylake.
> > For now, vesa or the uefi framebuffer you're handed are the best you
> > could get.  An external monitor may work with vesa as well (see vga(8)
> > for example usage), but it's somewhat unlikely.
> >

> Thanks. Good to know that it is a driver issue and not "just" a
> recognition issue (like nusb/ether). I will check if I can enhance it by
> the UEFI framebuffer.

a quick update: I could fix the resolution buy setting a higher
resolution in grub (dual booting 9front and Chimera Linux on this
machine). Could be good to know for people that do the same.