Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] NOT DELETED 8 (OS/360)
@ 2024-03-08  6:57 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2024-03-08  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Computer Old Farts Followers

Can anyone remember what this meant on OS/360?  Ken Robinson (one of my
CompSci lecturers) used to say "Ah, the old 'NOT DELETED 8 trick!'"...

-- Dave

* [COFF] Re: NOT DELETED 8 (OS/360)
@ 2024-03-08 12:09 ` Michael Kjörling
From: Michael Kjörling @ 2024-03-08 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff

On 8 Mar 2024 17:57 +1100, from dave@horsfall.org (Dave Horsfall):
> Can anyone remember what this meant on OS/360?  Ken Robinson (one of my
> CompSci lecturers) used to say "Ah, the old 'NOT DELETED 8 trick!'"...

https://www.mail-archive.com/ibm-main@bama.ua.edu/msg107633.html seems
to suggest that "NOT DELETED 8" means "not deleted because in use".

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”

* [COFF] Re: NOT DELETED 8 (OS/360)
@ 2024-03-08 14:40   ` steve jenkin
From: steve jenkin @ 2024-03-08 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Kjörling; +Cc: coff

I found the following “IEF283I” message, with 6 sub-clauses for code ‘8’,
in Internet Archive copy of a bitsavers doc.

Ken Robinson told a few horror stories of OS/360’s evil (my word) error reporting.

> On 8 Mar 2024, at 23:09, Michael Kjörling <e5655f30a07f@ewoof.net> wrote:
>
> On 8 Mar 2024 17:57 +1100, from dave@horsfall.org (Dave Horsfall):
>> Can anyone remember what this meant on OS/360?  Ken Robinson (one of my
>> CompSci lecturers) used to say "Ah, the old 'NOT DELETED 8 trick!'"...
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/ibm-main@bama.ua.edu/msg107633.html seems
> to suggest that "NOT DELETED 8" means "not deleted because in use".
>
> --
> Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
> “Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”

==================

ibm :: 360 :: os :: R21.7 Apr73 :: GC28-6631-13 OS 360 R21.7 Messages and Codes Apr73

https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_ibm360osR2S360R21.7MessagesandCodesApr73_53080992/page/n301/mode/1up?q=%22not+deleted%22

292 Messages 6 Codes (Release 21. 7)

IEF283I dsn NOT DELETED x

VCL SER NOS= ser [z],ser [z],ser [z],ser [z],ser [z] VCl SER NOS= ser [z] ,ser [z],ser [z].

Expla ation; A DD statement specified DELETE as the disposition of data set dsn, but the data set was not deleted from the volumes whose serial numbers, ser, are listed in the message text.

If the data set was net deleted from any of its volumes, the volumes listed are all of the volum-es en which the data set resides. If the data set was partially deleted, miessage IEF285I precedes this message in the SYSOUT data set and lists the volumes from which the data set was deleted .

• If ser is a 6-digit number, it is the serial number ef the volume, which contains labels .
• If ser begins with a slash cr L, the vol\ame is unlabeled; the number after the slash or L is an internal serial number assigned by the system, to an unlabeled volume. If ser begins with L, the number after the L is of the form xxxyy, where xxx is the data set number and yy is the volume sequence number for the data set.

Five volume serial numbers are listed per line until all the volumes involved are listed. The last volume serial number is followed by a period.

The 1-digit code, x, explains why the data set was not deleted.

X Explanation

1 The expiration date had not occurred. When the data set was created, the expiration date was specified by the EXFET or RETPE subparameter in the LABEL parameter cf the ED statement.

4 No device was available for mounting during deletion.

5 Too many volumes were specified for deletion. Deletion can be accomplished in several job steps by specifying some of the volume serial numbers in each step.

6 Either no volumes were mounted cr the mounted volumes cculd net be demounted to permit the remaining volumes to be mounted.

8 The SCRATCH routine returned a code, z, following each vclum.e serial number explaining why the data set was not deleted from that volume. The values of z and their meanings are as follows;

1 - The data set was not found on the volume.
2 - The data set is security protected and the correct password was not given.
3 - The expiration date had not occurred. When the data set was created, the expiration date was specified by the EXPDT or RETPD subparameter in the LABEL parameter of the DD statement.
4 - An uncorrectable input/output error occurred in deleting the data set from the volume.
5 - The system was unable to have the volume mounted for deletion.
6 - The system requested that the operator mount the volume, but the operator did not mount it.

9 A job was cancelled and was deleted from any of the following queues

==================
--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)

mailto:sjenkin@canb.auug.org.au http://members.tip.net.au/~sjenkin

* [COFF] Re: NOT DELETED 8 (OS/360)
@ 2024-03-08 15:05     ` Paul Winalski
From: Paul Winalski @ 2024-03-08 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steve jenkin; +Cc: Michael Kjörling, coff

On 3/8/24, steve jenkin <sjenkin@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Ken Robinson told a few horror stories of OS/360’s evil (my word) error
> reporting.

OS/VS1 was notorious for... shall we say... terse operator console
messages as well.  An example:

00E WTR WAITING FOR WORK P00

-Paul W.

* [COFF] Re: NOT DELETED 8 (OS/360)
@ 2024-03-08 15:53       ` Paul Winalski
From: Paul Winalski @ 2024-03-08 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Computer Old Farts Followers

The subject of obscure OS/360 error messages recalled to my mind the
beginner's guide for students and faculty that the Boston College
Computer Center wrote.  They spent many pages explaining obtuse OS/360
error messages.  My favorite line from that document is:

"Despite what you may have been taught in German class, there is no
such thing as a 'guten ABEND'."

-Paul W

* [COFF] Re: NOT DELETED 8 (OS/360)
@ 2024-03-11  5:35     ` Dave Horsfall