* [NTG-context] How to isolate serious errors from warnings?
       [not found] <1245125740.301939.1713398996808.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2024-04-18  0:09 ` Joel via ntg-context
From: Joel via ntg-context @ 2024-04-18  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm about to have a lengthy (2,000+ page) document published. Normally if it compiles and looks okay, I regard that as meaning no errors appeared, but I've noticed that sometimes ConTeXt will still compile, even if something isn't displayed on screen as it should:

(1) I tried placing a table inside a startitemize environment, as instead of it not compiling, it left a message in the document warning that wasn't supported.
(2) In another case, I had an image that ConTeXt couldn't find, as I mispelled the filenmame, and it fully compiled and made a PDF, without me noticing.
(3) Or maybe in some case, a font couldn't be found for a specific character, so a single character in the file isn't displaying.
Those are just some examples; I intended for something to be printed on the PDF, but it isn't showing there.

Since a document of this size will have a lot of messages, is there a way to adjust the settings, from "show everything" to "show some" to "show only serious errors"? Or maybe to use > to send the errors to another file for careful study? (using Linux if that matters)

--Joel

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: How to isolate serious errors from warnings?
@ 2024-04-18  6:26   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2024-04-18  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel via ntg-context

Am 18.04.24 um 02:09 schrieb Joel via ntg-context:
> I'm about to have a lengthy (2,000+ page) document published. Normally
> if it compiles and looks okay, I regard that as meaning no errors
> appeared, but I've noticed that sometimes ConTeXt will still compile,
> even if something isn't displayed on screen as it should:
>
> (1) I tried placing a table inside a startitemize environment, as
> instead of it not compiling, it left a message in the document warning
> that wasn't supported.
>
> (2) In another case, I had an image that ConTeXt couldn't find, as I
> mispelled the filenmame, and it fully compiled and made a PDF, without
> me noticing.
>
> (3) Or maybe in some case, a font couldn't be found for a specific
> character, so a single character in the file isn't displaying.
>
> Those are just some examples; I intended for something to be printed on
> the PDF, but it isn't showing there.
>
> Since a document of this size will have a lot of messages, is there a
> way to adjust the settings, from "show everything" to "show some" to
> "show only serious errors"? Or maybe to use > to send the errors to
> another file for careful study? (using Linux if that matters)

You can enable trackers like

\enabletrackers[figures.*]

But that just gives more log messages for debugging.

You get the list of all trackers with:

context --global m-trackers.mkiv

For your use case, directives are more helpful, like

\enabledirectives[logs.errors=*] (i.e. break at every error)

AFAIK that just handles missing characters, references and modules ATM,
but this information might be outdated.

You get all directives with

context --global m-directives.mkiv

Hraban

@ 2024-04-19 13:56     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2024-04-19 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 4/18/2024 8:26 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 18.04.24 um 02:09 schrieb Joel via ntg-context:
>> I'm about to have a lengthy (2,000+ page) document published. Normally
>> if it compiles and looks okay, I regard that as meaning no errors
>> appeared, but I've noticed that sometimes ConTeXt will still compile,
>> even if something isn't displayed on screen as it should:
>>
>> (1) I tried placing a table inside a startitemize environment, as
>> instead of it not compiling, it left a message in the document warning
>> that wasn't supported.
>>
>> (2) In another case, I had an image that ConTeXt couldn't find, as I
>> mispelled the filenmame, and it fully compiled and made a PDF, without
>> me noticing.
>>
>> (3) Or maybe in some case, a font couldn't be found for a specific
>> character, so a single character in the file isn't displaying.
>>
>> Those are just some examples; I intended for something to be printed
>> on the PDF, but it isn't showing there.
>>
>> Since a document of this size will have a lot of messages, is there a
>> way to adjust the settings, from "show everything" to "show some" to
>> "show only serious errors"? Or maybe to use > to send the errors to
>> another file for careful study? (using Linux if that matters)
>
> You can enable trackers like
>
> \enabletrackers[figures.*]
>
> But that just gives more log messages for debugging.
>
> You get the list of all trackers with:
>
> context --global m-trackers.mkiv
>

> For your use case, directives are more helpful, like
>
> \enabledirectives[logs.errors=*] (i.e. break at every error)
>
> AFAIK that just handles missing characters, references and modules ATM,
> but this information might be outdated.
>
> You get all directives with
>
> context --global m-directives.mkiv

often the log files has some summaries at the end

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2024-04-20  9:20   ` Bruce Horrocks
From: Bruce Horrocks @ 2024-04-20  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 18 Apr 2024, at 01:09, Joel via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
> Or maybe to use > to send the errors to another file for careful study? (using Linux if that matters)

You can run the job from the command line and redirect to a file:

  $ context file.tex > output.log 2>&1

but that is essentially the same as the .log file that is produced by default when you run from the command line.

As your book is large you could try adding \writestatus commands at suitable points so that when your messages appear in the log you know that processing reached that far in the book.

Also you could use \writestatus to output messages before and after known problem areas so you can look to see if there is any telltale output in the log and then search for that elsewhere.

HTH
—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK