The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Re: *roff hyphenation trivia challenge
@ 2024-04-02 21:12 Douglas McIlroy
From: Douglas McIlroy @ 2024-04-02 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

> [Tex's] oversetting of lines caused by the periodic failure of the
> paragraph-justification algorithms drove me nuts.

Amen. If Tex can't do what it thinks is a good job, it throws a fit
and violates the margin, hoping to force a rewrite. Fortunately,
one can shut off the line-break algorithm and simply fill greedily.
The command to do so is \sloppy--an ironic descriptor of text
that looks better, albeit not up to Tex's discriminating standard.
Further irony: when obliged to write in Tex, I have resorted to
turning \sloppy mode on globally.

Apologies for airing an off-topic pet peeve,
Doug