zsh-workers
* eta for release
@ 2024-03-13 17:03 Christian Hesse
From: Christian Hesse @ 2024-03-13 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zsh-workers

Dear zsh developers,

I am writing in my role as Arch Linux downstream developer.
We have started sorting pcre, replacing it with pcre2 [0].

While zsh git master does support pcre2 already, this has not made it into a
release and the current one still depends on the old library. Support is
spread over several commits, which depend on even more commits. Thus
cherry-picking is not that easy.

So wondering... It there any eta for a new release? Would be nice to have one
any time soon... :)

Thanks a lot!

[0] https://archlinux.org/todo/move-to-pcre2/
--
main(a){char*c=/*    Schoene Gruesse                         */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/*    Best regards             my address:    */=0;b=c[a++];)

* Re: eta for release
@ 2024-03-14 21:01 ` Oliver Kiddle
From: Oliver Kiddle @ 2024-03-14 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Hesse; +Cc: zsh-workers

Christian Hesse wrote:
> While zsh git master does support pcre2 already, this has not made it into a
> release and the current one still depends on the old library. Support is
> spread over several commits, which depend on even more commits. Thus
> cherry-picking is not that easy.

If you cherry-pick 1b421e49 first then b62e9113 will also apply
without conflicts other than on ChangeLog. You shouldn't need any of
the subsequent patches related to PCRE. At least none of them are a
regression with respect to 5.9 - nor are any fixing bugs introduced with
the two cherry-picked patches. You don't necessarily need the first of
those two patches other than to make the second apply cleanly but it
doesn't do any harm.

> So wondering... It there any eta for a new release? Would be nice to have one
> any time soon... :)

Not being the release manager, I can't answer this part with any
authority. Some of the newer developments are still in a state of
flux.

Oliver

* Re: eta for release
@ 2024-03-14 22:39   ` Christian Hesse