From: "Ezequiel Reyes" <ezequiel.reyes@newhotel.co.cu>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] accesing a local fossil
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 07:37:38 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi, I wanted to install plan 9 in my second partition using the option 1 of
the menu in the liveCD. It stoped trying to find a file in sdD0, so I gave
it the same path for the file but with sdC1 (my cd drive) and some questions
later it started rio and a series of programas that made easy questions and
led the instalation through without problems. The last of these programs
asked for a booting option, giving me to select from (floppy,boot from plan9
,win9x,winnt), something like that. As mine is a dual boot disk, I could not
select to start my system directly with plan 9, wich I guess would have been
the easier for the installer, so I selected first floppy, but it could not
find it, as it tried to find it on sdD0 (this time with no possibility of
providing my own path like before), then I tried winnt, but it could not
find a .ini nt file on my Windows partition. So I gave it a ctrl-d and the
next option was [finish]. I happend to have a NetBSD bootloader before so I
could still have the bootmenu and use the option NetBSD which was now
pointing to the newly installed plan 9 system, But plan 9 stoped when
reading the plan9.ini file in the installed system since it mentioned fd0 as
the booting media. Then I thought I could mount the installed system using
the liveCD system that came with the CD and from there using sam or
something edit the ini file and point it to the correct file in the new
partition (and some more info about screen res, mouse and of course, the
vesa driver in case it weren't already there). So I fired up the liveCD
option, went through the manuals and tried something like:

%fossil/fossil -f /dev/sdC0/fossil

then I listed /srv but there was no /srv/fossil entry there, so I could not
mount. Besides, I noticed a text something like rfork ### fsave, printed
somewhere over the screen (over the windows, not inside them), being ### the
id of the fork I guess. I rememberd seeing /srv/fossil during the
instalation, so I went back and started the instalation process again (as I
had noticed it used a different rio version since it have smaller fonts and
circular menus unlike the liveCD option which I think is older) just to see
if I could mount the already instaled system from there. As the instalation
started I looked for fossil in /srv and it was there, so I opened a new
window and tried:
 fossil/fossil -f /dev/sdC0/fossil again, this time I could later add mount
/srv/fossil /n/9fat and it worked ok showing me the new installed tree
there. The problem is I have no sam or acme available from the instalation
system so I could not edit anything, just browse.
Did I miss something while trying to start fossil on /dev/sdC0/fossil using
the liveCD system? Is is possible at all to perform an instalation this way?
I would like not to depend on the floppy disk every time I boot in plan 9.
Is it possible?