From: "Ezequiel Reyes" <ezequiel.reyes@newhotel.co.cu>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] accesing a local fossil
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:39:21 -0700	[thread overview]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Simon" <steve@quintile.net>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 10:26 AM

> This happens because the fossil config file burnt onto the start of the
fossil
> partition does not contain a srv command, it is passed on the command line
when fossil
> is envoked.
>
> /sys/src/9/boot/local.c:256
> run("/boot/fossil", "-f", partition, "-c", "srv -A fboot", "-c", "srv -p
fscons", 0);

> You could start the bootable CDROM and then type:
>
> % fossil/fossil -f /dev/sdC0/fossil -c 'srv -APW open' -c 'srv -p fscons'
> % mount /srv/open /n/open
>
> Your fossil filesystem should now appear in /n/open/active/ and all
permission
> checking will be turned off so you can fix anything you like.

I did just that, I first listed to find all fossils:

ls /dev/sd*/foosil

which gave me /dev/sdC0 twise

Then:

% fossil/fossil -f /dev/sdC0/fossil -c 'srv -APW open' -c 'srv -p fscons'
% mount /srv/open /n/open

But there was no /n/open/active. In /n/open there was I filesystem very
similar to the one on the CD but with some files missing and different date
signatures.
When I tried to cp some file  there:

can't create "/n/open/PLAN9.INI" : mounted directory forbids creation

I had installed plan 9 using the option 1 of the CD and the 9pccd.gz in it
to run the instalation system. I am sure it installed, there were no errors
during the process and the progress bar took some time. When I boot I get
these 3 final lines:

using sdC0!9fat!plan9.ini
Boot devices: fd0 ether0 sdC0!9fat
boot from:

Then I tried sdC0!9fat!9pcdisk.gz but: error walking to 9pcdisk.gz

So, there is a plan 9 system installed, but I can not access it because the
plan9.ini is not well configured or does not mention the proper kernel file.
I can not depend on the floppy because it does not have vesa driver on it so
rio won't start. That's why I am trying to create or modify a plan9.ini file
on the instalation using the cd demo system.
Is it at all possible to do this? I mean, accesing the just installed system
using the CD demo and modifying or copying the plan9.ini file?
In case it is, why can't I write on the mounted fossil?
where should I put (or look for in order to modify) the plan9.ini on the
disk?
The booting system finds it on sdC0!9fat!plan9.ini
But I can't find it on the mounted fossil.