* [9fans] Enter special characters in acme.
@ 2018-12-18  2:21 Parker Ellertson
From: Parker Ellertson @ 2018-12-18  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm currently running acme on Debian using plan9port.  I've tried using
X11's alt-typing (not sure if that's what it's actually called), and
acme isn't doing squat.  I'll probably never have an actual use for it,
but it would be nice to know.

--
Parker Ellertson
================

email: pellertson@firemail.cc

* Re: [9fans] Enter special characters in acme.
@ 2018-12-18  3:54 ` Mark van Atten
From: Mark van Atten @ 2018-12-18  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 3:24 AM Parker Ellertson <pellertson@firemail.cc> wrote:

> I'm currently running acme on Debian using plan9port.  I've tried using
> X11's alt-typing (not sure if that's what it's actually called), and
> acme isn't doing squat.  I'll probably never have an actual use for it,
> but it would be nice to know.

Works here (on Arch, but I used the same on FreeBSD and Debian) with this
in my .xinitrc:

9 mklatinkbd -x $PLAN9/lib/keyboard >$HOME/.XCompose
xmodmap -e 'keycode 108 = Multi_key'

# for GNOME and QT programs, add
export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
export QT_IM_MODULE=xim

# https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/39547/dead-compose-keys-not-working-in-gtk-apps-since-upgrade/65755#65755
export XMODIFIERS=@im=none

Typing ALT, X, four hexadecimal digits works in Acme but not in
Firefox for example. The shorthands listed in
$PLAN9/lib/keyboard do.

Mark.

* Re: [9fans] Enter special characters in acme.
@ 2018-12-18 11:32   ` Parker Ellertson
From: Parker Ellertson @ 2018-12-18 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Just ran the command below and it worked!  Thanks, Mark.