* Re: [9fans] 3COM NIC
@ 2001-11-01  3:27 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-11-01  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The 3C589 is a PCMCIA card, the 3C905B is a PCI card, they're
not really equivalent. The 3C905B will work OK with Plan 9, as
does the 3C589 Megahertz equivalent (sorry, I don't remember the
exact model number).

On Wed Oct 31 22:15:21 EST 2001, wstan@REMOVE.xs4all.nl wrote:
> Just a quick question. Would the
> 3Com 3C905B-TX PCI NIC card be a good choice
> for a Plan9 system? Anything better?
> The 3C589 doesn't seem to be offered
> anymore.
>
> Bill
> Amsterdam, NL

* [9fans] cpu/auth/fs
@ 2001-11-01  4:20 ` Dharani Vilwanathan
From: Dharani Vilwanathan @ 2001-11-01  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am trying to build a Plan9 cpu/auth/file server (all in a single box). Is
it possible?

At the end of the document titled "Installing the Plan 9 Distribution", it
says:

"The kfs patches are currently being soaked and may appear before long."

Are the details available? Can someone tell me how I can do it?

Thanks
dharani

> The 3C589 is a PCMCIA card, the 3C905B is a PCI card, they're
> not really equivalent. The 3C905B will work OK with Plan 9, as
> does the 3C589 Megahertz equivalent (sorry, I don't remember the
> exact model number).
>
> On Wed Oct 31 22:15:21 EST 2001, wstan@REMOVE.xs4all.nl wrote:
> > Just a quick question. Would the
> > 3Com 3C905B-TX PCI NIC card be a good choice
> > for a Plan9 system? Anything better?
> > The 3C589 doesn't seem to be offered
> > anymore.
> >
> > Bill
> > Amsterdam, NL

* Re: [9fans] cpu/auth/fs
@ 2001-11-01  4:30 anothy
From: anothy @ 2001-11-01  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i believe the kfs patches to allow a cpu server to also act as a file server
(minus dumps, of course) are in the normal distribution now (i'm using
them, and i _think_ that's where i got them from). it's pretty easy (the fs
part is, anyway). set up the cpu server as normal, and just add the lines:
	disk/kfscmd 'listen il!*!17008'
	disk/kfscmd 'listen tcp!*!564'
to /rc/bin/cpurc, and it'll listen on the normal file server ports and serve
authenticated access to your kfs file system.

i _think_ that's what you're asking for. auth servers can be a bit
complicated to set up, but there isn't really anything _tricky_ about them,
and i think the documentation's sufficient. if you run into problems there,
let us (or me) know.
ア