* [9fans] Need help onPOP via ppp
@ 2002-05-17  1:01 Thomas West
From: Thomas West @ 2002-05-17  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm running Plan9v4 in kfs mode.

I have not been able to get mail  from my ISP.

I can logon with ip/ppp and the /net/ndb file is populated with ip, ipmask
and ipgw entries that look reasonable.

In /lib/ndb/local I put
 file=/net/ndb
and
sys=postoffice.worldnet.att.net
     dns=(dotted quad) dns=(second dotted quad)

sys=worldnet.att.net
     dns=(dotted quad) dns=(second dotted quad)

with the dns provided by the ISP.
I rebooted.

I logged on with ip/ppp then..
upas/fs -f/pop/postoffice.worldnet.att.net
upas/fs: opening mailbox: cs: can't translate address

Will someone please point me in the right direction?

Tnx,
-Tom

* Re: [9fans] Need help onPOP via ppp
@ 2002-05-16 22:07 rsc
From: rsc @ 2002-05-16 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The dns entries need to be in the description of the
local system.  They're global, not per-name-to-be-looked up.
Another way to do it is

	echo '	dns=1.2.3.4' >>/net/ndb
	echo '	dns=1.2.3.4' >>/net/ndb

which is pretty much guaranteed to add them
to a tuple that corresponds to your system.

You also need to start dns after starting ppp.
You can avoid the ndb stuff by specifying
the dns servers on the command line:

DNSSERVER=1.2.3.4 ndb/dns -r

Russ