* [9fans] 9conlon ...
@ 2004-03-30 14:43 Dave Lukes
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dave Lukes @ 2004-03-30 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is in a month and a half:
could people please start firming up their plans so I can start
matching beds to bodies?

Unless otherwise stated, I will assume that the attendance list is
as attached.

Please encourage other 9sympathisers to attend!

Thanks,
	Dave.

a att 9srv.net
alcortes att coitt.es
boyd att insultant.net
brucee att chunder.com
davel att anvil.com
dfawcus att cisco.com
geoff att collyer.net
kleal att plan9.escet.urjc.es
martin att parvat.com
matt att proweb.co.uk
paurea att plan9.escet.urjc.es
steve.simon att snellwilcox.com

* Re: [9fans] 9conlon ...
@ 2004-03-31 11:14 ` Martin C.Atkins
       [not found] ` <19C285BF-82A9-11D8-AF77-000A95C4B4C0@orb.sh>
From: Martin C.Atkins @ 2004-03-31 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi Dave,

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:43:29 +0100 Dave Lukes <davel@anvil.com> wrote:
> Is in a month and a half:
> could people please start firming up their plans so I can start
> matching beds to bodies?

Yes, we're also trying to firm-up our arrangements for May!

Some time back you said:
> I've looked at a couple of guest houses further out,
> and they're about UK£70 (~105 Euros) per night for a triple room:
> about 45mins journey time to anywhere in central London.
> If you get a more central room it'll cost you about £120/night,
> and it won't be as nice.

Whereabouts were these guest houses? I don't want to burden you with
finding a place for us, especially when we can probably do it ourselves
over the internet! On the other hand, if you found some specific places,
then I don't want to discard your efforts either!

BTW: the venue is fab!

Anyway, we're still planning on being with you - any initial thoughts
about an "agenda" yet, or is it just:
	10:00-20:00: chill out, chat, eat and drink
	etc.
:-)

Thanks,

Martin
--
Martin C. Atkins			martin@parvat.com
Parvat Infotech Private Limited		http://www.parvat.com{/,/martin}

* Re: [9fans] 9conlon ...
@ 2004-03-31 11:27   ` Gorka Guardiola Múzquiz
From: Gorka Guardiola Múzquiz @ 2004-03-31 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> I've looked at a couple of guest houses further out,
>> and they're about UK£70 (~105 Euros) per night for a triple room:
>> about 45mins journey time to anywhere in central London.
>> If you get a more central room it'll cost you about £120/night,
>> and it won't be as nice.
>
> Whereabouts were these guest houses? I don't want to burden you with
> finding a place for us, especially when we can probably do it ourselves
> over the internet! On the other hand, if you found some specific places,
> then I don't want to discard your efforts either!

A pair of years ago I went to London and I slept by Victoria Station
on some ugly shared rooms for students (like guest houses but old and
dirty :-)).  They were really really cheap (I remember something like
£20/night if my memory is right but good only for people with good
stomach (and not much money :-)).  I think I prefer the 105 euros triple room
if I can't sleep for free :-) on the floor of someone's house, but there
is always the choice. If someone wants, I can forward the info.

						G.

* Re: [9fans] 9conlon ...
@ 2004-03-31 11:46   ` Martin C.Atkins
From: Martin C.Atkins @ 2004-03-31 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Oooops, sorry, sorry! I've caught the wrong 'reply' button bug - that
wasn't meant to go to the whole list!

Apologies.
Martin

@ 2004-03-31 13:11     ` Dave Lukes
From: Dave Lukes @ 2004-03-31 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We might as well discuss all this on the list,
so people can get ideas of where to stay.

I can guarantee at least 3, possibly more, floor spaces,
BUT YOU WILL NEED TO BRING YOUR OWN BEDDING.

I would recommend against really cheap places:
we won't thank you if you bring fleas with you!

I believe someone else offered some more spaces:
please volunteer if you're in the area and have a spare floor.

If my numbers are right, we need 5 beds so far,
of which 3 are accounted for!

Cheers,
	Dave.

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 12:27, Gorka Guardiola Múzquiz wrote:
> >> I've looked at a couple of guest houses further out,
> >> and they're about UK£70 (~105 Euros) per night for a triple room:
> >> about 45mins journey time to anywhere in central London.
> >> If you get a more central room it'll cost you about £120/night,
> >> and it won't be as nice.
> >
> > Whereabouts were these guest houses? I don't want to burden you with
> > finding a place for us, especially when we can probably do it ourselves
> > over the internet! On the other hand, if you found some specific places,
> > then I don't want to discard your efforts either!
>
> A pair of years ago I went to London and I slept by Victoria Station
> on some ugly shared rooms for students (like guest houses but old and
> dirty :-)).  They were really really cheap (I remember something like
> £20/night if my memory is right but good only for people with good
> stomach (and not much money :-)).  I think I prefer the 105 euros triple room
> if I can't sleep for free :-) on the floor of someone's house, but there
> is always the choice. If someone wants, I can forward the info.
>
> 						G.

* Re: [9fans] 9conlon ...
@ 2004-03-31 14:13 ` Dave Lukes
       [not found] ` <19C285BF-82A9-11D8-AF77-000A95C4B4C0@orb.sh>
From: Dave Lukes @ 2004-03-31 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Folks,
	One other detail:
the room is going to cost ~UK£350~=~US$640~=€520.
(I know that's not cheap, but it gets us a nice room in a
good location).

I'm going to pay for this (out of my divorce settlement:-(),
but I'd be grateful for any donations to defray the cost!

If everyone chips in, say, £20 (€30), we should be half way there!

Any profit will be spent on beer/crisps/chips/nuts/... for everyone,
and no, you can't get a receipt to claim back the tax.

Thank you!

	Dave.

P.S. We're up to 13 definite attendees, plus a couple of maybes!

P.P.S. We also have at least 2 jugglers!
P.P.P.S. There's a company in the UK that does personalised
juggling balls:-).

* Re: [9fans] 9conlon ...
@ 2004-03-31 14:23       ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-03-31 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

try these guys:

    http://www.hotelclub.net

i use them, they work and they are cheap.

* Re: [9fans] 9conlon ...
@ 2004-03-31 14:41     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-03-31 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

just check out IYH in the UK for cheap accomodations, there's a fair
number in london. They're not the greatest but a step up from a park
bench.

ron

* [9fans] Re: 9conlon
       [not found]       ` <1080727037.17780.54.camel@zevon>
@ 2004-03-31 20:55         ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-03-31 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 10:54, Michael Baldwin wrote:
> > > You might want to "officially" attend in order to get a personalised
> > > t-shirt from boyd, though!
> >
> > Hmm, yes, perhaps.  Do I email Boyd directly and ask for a T-shirt?
>
> Yup: or I do, like this:-)

yeah, i got it down to a 2 minute job for the images.

i have a contact in paris for the printing.

payment is the ony problem;  i'll give the image(s) away, but printing them
costs real fiscal device(s) (tm).

* Re: [9fans] 9conlon ...
@ 2004-04-01  9:07   ` David Cantrell
From: David Cantrell @ 2004-04-01  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 03:13:19PM +0100, Dave Lukes wrote:

> P.S. We're up to 13 definite attendees, plus a couple of maybes!

Count me as a maybe too.  I won't know if I can attend until maybe a
week before the con.  But I live in London, so at least sorting out
accomodation won't be a problem :-)

--
Grand Inquisitor David Cantrell | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  The test of the goodness of a thing is its fitness for use.  If it
  fails on this first test, no amount of ornamentation or finish will
  make it any better, it will only make it more expensive and foolish.
     -- Frank Pick, lecture to the Design and Industries Assoc, 1916

* Re: [9fans] 9conlon ...
@ 2004-04-01 14:24     ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-04-01 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> But I live in London, so at least sorting out
> accomodation won't be a problem :-)

i _am_ in london :)