* [9fans] to-do list for plan 9
@ 2003-04-28 21:58 Fco.J.Ballesteros
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-04-28 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi
	while talking to Russ I noticed that it would be
nice to have a shared to-do list for Plan 9. For example,
I'd perhaps work on making the system suspend/resume on the laptop,
arranging the boot process to use fossil when installing from CD, etc.
Many times I dont start something because I think that someone in the
labs is working on it.

Thus, what about sharing our personal plan 9 to-do lists using, eg, the
wiki, and updating them to record who's working on what?

Now that I talk about a related issue, I still have the fs redirection
stuff which needs just a bit of work to get a production version able
to fail down from a remote file server to a local kfs, fossil or whatever.
Is there any interest on this? That may change its possition in my todo
list.

hope this helps (and hope also this does not end up in an endless
9fans thread with no practical result ;-).

* Re: [9fans] to-do list for plan 9
@ 2003-04-29 14:49 ` ron minnich
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2003-04-29 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Fco.J.Ballesteros wrote:

> Thus, what about sharing our personal plan 9 to-do lists using, eg, the
> wiki, and updating them to record who's working on what?

good idea, but how do we get kernel mods in. Also, I'd like to show people
my (very minor) mods and get comments. Does that fit the plan?

> Is there any interest on this? That may change its possition in my todo
> list.

yes, interest!

ron

* Re: [9fans] to-do list for plan 9
@ 2003-04-29 14:55   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-04-29 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> good idea, but how do we get kernel mods in.

You can post them to 9fans or (if they're trivial and not
really worth troubling 9fans with) mail them to 9trouble.

* Re: [9fans] to-do list for plan 9
@ 2003-04-29 15:39   ` Sam
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Sam @ 2003-04-29 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> good idea, but how do we get kernel mods in. Also, I'd like to show people
> my (very minor) mods and get comments. Does that fit the plan?

The most direct way to this end seems to be collecting the
files you've changed into a set of directories with a
script to bind them in as appropriate before compilation.

A todo list is a nice idea, especially if it encourages
people to participate.  Perhaps it would be more aptly
characterized with a list of work-in-progress and a list
of proposed work, though.

Either way you're assuming the barrier others
face in announcing the projects they're tinkering with
is that this list doesn't already exist.  I somehow
think it has more to do with the fact that ``if you
announce it, they will harrass you.''  The best avenue
for discovering whether someone is working on a project
you're considering still seems to be a quick poke to
9fans.

Creating such a list for one's own personal projects
may not be a bad idea and is a jolly good use of the wiki. :)

Cheers,

Sam

* Re: [9fans] to-do list for plan 9
@ 2003-04-29 15:56     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-04-29 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/todo/index.html

there :)

@ 2003-04-29 16:12     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-04-29 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Sam wrote:

> The most direct way to this end seems to be collecting the
> files you've changed into a set of directories with a
> script to bind them in as appropriate before compilation.

done. That's how we do it. But we've seen enough changes since last summer
in the kernel that I'd like to get these mods back into the real one, so I
will work on that too.

ron

* Re: [9fans] to-do list for plan 9
@ 2003-04-29 16:26 ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2003-04-29 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 11:58:34PM +0200, Fco.J.Ballesteros wrote:

> Thus, what about sharing our personal plan 9 to-do lists using, eg, the
> wiki, and updating them to record who's working on what?

I like this idea. There have been several times I've thought
about working on something but wasn't sure if someone else
was already working on it.

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary

* Re: [9fans] to-do list for plan 9
@ 2003-04-29 16:28   ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2003-04-29 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 08:49:15AM -0600, ron minnich wrote:

> good idea, but how do we get kernel mods in. Also, I'd like to show people
> my (very minor) mods and get comments. Does that fit the plan?

It would be nice to know what the criteria are for kernel
mods. The 48-bit LBA stuff I'm working on falls in this
realm.

--

@ 2003-04-29 16:29     ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2003-04-29 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 10:55:49AM -0400, Russ Cox wrote:

> You can post them to 9fans or (if they're trivial and not
> really worth troubling 9fans with) mail them to 9trouble.

I should have read the whole thread before replying to
individual messages. :)

--

@ 2003-04-29 16:35     ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2003-04-29 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 11:39:58AM -0400, Sam wrote:

> A todo list is a nice idea, especially if it encourages
> people to participate.  Perhaps it would be more aptly
> characterized with a list of work-in-progress and a list
> of proposed work, though.

I think it makes sense to split any todo list into WIP
and what people intend to work on but has not yet been
started.

--

@ 2003-04-30  0:02 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2003-04-30  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

read prusker's & wobber's paper

* Re: [9fans] to-do list for plan 9
@ 2003-04-30  0:26   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-04-30  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Boyd Roberts wrote:

> read prusker's & wobber's paper

the 1991 one?

ron

* Re: [9fans] to-do list for plan 9
@ 2003-04-30  0:41     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2003-04-30  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

yeah i was at PRL, i ran that lab as a sysadmin.  it was nice :)

although the syntax was horrible, but it was a cool thing ...

* Re: [9fans] to-do list for plan 9
@ 2003-04-30  7:58       ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-04-30  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I think it makes sense to split any todo list into WIP
> and what people intend to work on but has not yet been
> started.

I did a split of the todo in the wiki into two sections, one for wip and
one for stuff you plan to do in the future. BTW, I'd love to see in the
wiki not just the lists for 9fans not in the labs but also the todos of
people in the labs. :-)