* [9fans] S3 775/325
@ 2000-06-16  9:11 Oscar Gala
From: Oscar Gala @ 2000-06-16  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I have a S3 Trio64 videocard with the 86C775 chipset and a S3 Virge
with the 86C325 Chipset,
but I can't get them to work with the Plan9 installation.
At firt I would get ascreen dump of the Bios Rom, and I made an entry
in the vgadb, but then the installation got hung up in vga mode and I
just saw the cursor blinking, but couldn't do anything.
Does this mean the cards are not compatible with Plan9,
or that I have to make a different entry in vgadb?
And if that is the case, could someone help me with that?

Thanx,

Oscar Gala

* [9fans] Re: S3 775/325
@ 2000-06-16 13:57 ` Wladimir Mutel
From: Wladimir Mutel @ 2000-06-16 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Oscar Gala <proto@phatspace.org> wrote:

> I have a S3 Trio64 videocard with the 86C775 chipset and a S3 Virge
> with the 86C325 Chipset,
> but I can't get them to work with the Plan9 installation.

	86c775/86c785 (Trio64V2) works. I just added such line (marked with
+) in /lib/vgadb (and before, in vgadb on boot diskette):

        0xC0044="Phoenix S3 TRIO64 Enhanced VGA BIOS. Version 1.2-07"
+	0xC004B="86C775/86C785"
	link=vga

	Try to find the same place and insert the same line.

> At firt I would get ascreen dump of the Bios Rom, and I made an entry
> in the vgadb, but then the installation got hung up in vga mode and I

	Yes, I copied start address and identifying string exactly from
	video bios dump I got first time.

> just saw the cursor blinking, but couldn't do anything.
> Does this mean the cards are not compatible with Plan9,
> or that I have to make a different entry in vgadb?
> And if that is the case, could someone help me with that?

	Try my suggestion, hope it helps.

--
mwg@alkar.net

* Re: [9fans] Re: S3 775/325