* [9fans] Origins of the name of 4th edition file server
@ 2003-01-17  9:39 Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2003-01-17  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>With this trend one can expect that the future versions of all Plan9
>components would be named after little known towns with funny
>names.  I say we start in PA.  Intercourse, Climax and Blueballs come
>to mind.  How about one named after Tightwad, MO -- this could
>be some sort of memory checker, or Bucksnort, TN  -- perhaps
>the new name fo olefs?

A good idea in principle, but isn't it needlessly restrictive to consider
only names of towns in the USA? Surely the village of Wank in Germany
deserves to have a software tool named after it?

* Re: [9fans] Origins of the name of 4th edition file server
@ 2003-01-17 16:11   ` Conor Williams
From: Conor Williams @ 2003-01-17 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

already is software called swank - a java tk thing

@ 2003-01-17 16:33 ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2003-01-17 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-01-17 19:14   ` Chris Hollis-Locke
From: Chris Hollis-Locke @ 2003-01-17 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Jack Johnson wrote:
> Surely it would need the option to wank recursively.

I think a more Plan9 approach would be for it to mount itself.

Chris.

* Re: [9fans] Origins of the name of 4th edition file server
@ 2003-01-24  7:24     ` Tomas
From: Tomas @ 2003-01-24  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

As long as we're discussing names, I though I'd ask about
something I just realized this week. I was thinking about naming
applications and thought that a POP server under Plan9 could be
named pop9, but then I realized popIX, with it's similarity in
both spelling and pronounciation to POSIX, would be mildly
amusing.

And then it hit me; Plan9 = PlanIX (yes, I'm slow). I remembered
reading about how the name UNIX was a play with words with it's
predecessor Multics, so naturally the question pops into my mind:
is this the case with Plan9 as well? Was the number 9 at the end
of the name a factor in deciding the name, just as Presotto wrote
that having the letters f and s in it was a factor when choosing
fossil?

/Tomas

* Re: [9fans] Origins of the name of 4th edition file server
@ 2003-01-24 16:47       ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-01-24 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22plan+9+from+outer+space%22

* Re: [9fans] Origins of the name of 4th edition file server
@ 2003-01-24 20:38         ` Tomas
From: Tomas @ 2003-01-24 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 at 11:47am, Russ Cox wrote:

> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22plan+9+from+outer+space%22

Yes, I do know of the movie "Plan 9 From Outer Space". Besides
being a B-film classic, it's also mentioned on some Plan9-related
webpages, and I specifically remember one saying that the name
Plan9 was chosen in part as a tribute to the movie, and in part
to make life for the marketing department a bit harder. I was
just wondering if the 9 at the end of the name also was a part of
the decision, for the reasons I outlined in my previous mail.

Oh well, it's no big deal, just another example of my brain
working overtime on unimportant things.

/Tomas

* Re: [9fans] Origins of the name of 4th edition file server
@ 2003-01-24 20:47           ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-01-24 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"what's really gonna bake your noodle later on, is that 'ed', the editor,
was named after Ed Wood" ;)

on an unrelated note: the grace period between the first post to 9fans with a
new (and clean) email address and the arrival of the first spam message is
about 3 days...

hail usenet :)

@ 2003-01-18  6:04 Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2003-01-18  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>I think a more Plan9 approach would be for it to mount itself.

Good point. But what would be the appropriate place name for an application
that preferred to bind itself?

* [9fans] Origins of the name of 4th edition file server
@ 2003-01-15  8:12 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2003-01-15  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It is probably named after Fossil, OR.

Fossil, OR (city, FIPS 26650)
Location: 44.99841 N, 120.21319 W
Population (1990): 399 (224 housing units)
Area: 2.0 sq km (land), 0.0 sq km (water)
Source: U.S. Gazetteer, U.S. Census Bureau