* [9fans] cpu server auth problems
@ 2003-01-11 19:29 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-01-11 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the machine in question is being set up as a standalone cpu/auth/kfs fileserver

when i try to cpu to it from a different machine as a normal user i get the
following error:

cpu: can't authenticate: plan9box: auth_proxy rpc write: \x01bootes: no auth server found for plan9box

(the user i'm trying to get in as is 'andrey')

when i cpu as bootes i have no problems getting authenticated:

% cpu -h plan9box

!Adding key: dom=plan9box proto=p9sk1
user[andrey]: bootes
password:
!
cpu%

what makes it even more puzzling is that if i select to boot from plan9box as a
file server (il) on a remote machine the user 'andrey' authenticates just fine

so, in essence i can't cpu to the machine as 'andrey' but i can boot with it as
a file server and then everything is fine

any help is appreciated: andrey

* Re: [9fans] cpu server auth problems
@ 2003-01-11 19:47 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-01-11 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

just to add -- i can successfuly cpu to the machine using 'netkey'
authentication, so the problem is only with the default, p9 auth

@ 2003-01-11 21:18 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-01-11 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

run auth/debug and you'll find that your ndb setup
is not quite correct.  in particular, the cpu server
doesn't know how to find the authserver for authdom=plan9box.

all the situations that you've described as working
do so because they don't require the client side
to know how to find the auth server: for netkey
the server side takes care of it, for cpu as bootes
factotum can make up some tickets by itself, and
for the boot-from-file-server, factotum gets the ip address
then and uses it as a fallback.

* Re: [9fans] cpu server auth problems -- solved
@ 2003-01-11 21:37   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-01-11 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i found the solution to my problem -- had to specify correctly the auth
server _and the auth domain_ on the machine i was connecting from:

	% echo 'auth=plan9box authdom=plan9box' > /net/ndb
	% cpu -h plan9box
	[authentication]
	cpu %

of course, i'm not really sure whether echoing stuff to /net/ndb like that
has not broken any of my previous settings -- probably a good idea will
be to fork the namespace first

andrey

@ 2003-01-11 21:56     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-01-11 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

forking the name space doesn't fork /net/ndb.

echo 'auth=plan9box authdom=plan9box' >>/net/ndb

adds a separate entry (because it's not indented) so you're fine.

you could add it to /lib/ndb/local as a more permanent solution.

* Re: [9fans] cpu server auth problems -- solved
@ 2003-01-11 22:06       ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-01-11 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Russ Cox wrote:

> you could add it to /lib/ndb/local as a more permanent solution.

i did that and it worked fine (already pulled an update on two machines
here)

thanx!